What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Success. byblis liniflora germinated

After like 3 or 4 attempts ( don't remember, i think 3). I have finally managed to get one byblis seedling, I will probably get more soon. I thought it was a weed, and I was going to pull it, but i gave it a day to let it unfurl. Then, after that I thought it was a Drosera, but now it's definetly a Byblis
smile.gif
I guess the 3rd times a charm. The first time trying Byblis, I just chucked them on the soil, 2nd I used the bleach method, and for the final one, I used the bleach method again, but this time with a spray bottle. I grew the first two in deep pots, and for the 3rd one , it's in a 3 pot and the seeds were stored in room temperature, not the fridge. Well anyways besides that, does this species use the water tray or water tray and let it evaporate and is it ok to use the water tray while it's seedling until a certain time. I probably shouldn't grown them, since winter is almost approaching.

The first time I received seeds, I just put them in a pipette container and closed the lid. That was it. About 10 days later, they all (23) sprouted. no bleach, no smoke, no magic wand. It was at this time of year and I watched every last seedling die, one by one, through fall and winter. My next batch of seeds did nothing. Another batch germinated a few months later and fourth batch a few weeks later. I find germination to be consitently inconsistent! I have 4 flowering plants right now and can't tell what a swelled seedpod looks like.

Yet, another byblis seedling grew this morning. Beginners luck after 3 or 4 tries :p

Sometimes whether a seed germinates or not isn't related to your care. There is always a possibility the seed was old or infertile to begin with.

Congrats on your success. Byblis is a favorite of mine. They look like little sparkly trees.
smile.gif

I don't know about the seed being old or infertile, but I had it stored in my drawer for a couple of weeks after I found out the 1st half of seeds never sprouted and then it finally sprouted :p. Mine has 4 leaves now, is it too early to feed it something.Is it carnivorous or semi and how soon should I expect flowers, and from looking at pics of flower stalks with mucilage, can it digest insects?

I germinated all my seedlings the first time, never had any success since, unfortunately I gave two of my 3 pots of plants away, and mine died

Back