What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. scorpioides dying after flowering

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Two Februaries ago I received a bunch of D. scorpioides gemmae and they sprouted nicely last year. They didn't produce gemmae of their own, nor did they flower. This summer they did flower and shortly afterward, one by one, most of them died. I have several cultivars of pulchella, nitidula, carberup, badgerup, etc... and they all flowered as well - but the plants didn't die. Any ideas why?

They don't like you, Jimscott! Send them to me! LOL!

Sure... I'll send them to you - for some pitcher plants!  
biggrin.gif

Hey, in all seriousness, everytime I look at my thriving cobra lily - the one that didn't go in the stream - I think of you. You best believe I have it going down the dormancy path!

I see the pitcher plants, and raise you d. intermedia (Carolina Giant), and d. filiformis from the Jersey Pine Barrens. Also, to make it interesting, I also raise you p. planifolia!!!!

Didn't the 'Carolina Giant' come from you? That's what I remember Jerry saying.

Dscn0169.sized.jpg

Belay the Caro Giants then!!!!!! And I will raise you the d. brevifolia instead, and the d. capillaris long arm form! So there!!!!!

That plant, or shall I say, those plants are very sleepy right now, with that clenched fist look to them. See, I kept them alive! I just have to keep them away from that stream!.

Um.... are we really talking trade? What do I have that you don't already have? It's like trying to find something for Jeremiah, Tamlin, or Copper.

No thanks! I kill scorpiodes all the time. Don't want'em, as cool as they are. I will give seed if they survive the winter, and that will be next year, so don't do anything foolish like die on me or anything. Against the rules ya know.

Okey-dokey. I'll try to avoid this dying thing of which you speak. Until then, whom shall we next victimize with our profuse teasing?
smile_m_32.gif

How about the great OZ!

The great and powerful OZ? "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..." Oh, wrong OZ!

Um.. it sure would be great if I could an answer to the original question, though!

Hm, no idea, Jim. Maybe in a year or two's time, though (fat lot of good that does!) There's gotta be someone here who knows, though!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Oct. 23 2005,9:40)]No thanks! I kill scorpiodes all the time.
As plentiful as my D. scorpioides gemmae are I need more people like you and Jim to send them to.
smile_n_32.gif

BCK, with me, scorpioides comes and goes. (Pingman is gonna kill me for the scientific lack of ettiquette!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As plentiful as my D. scorpioides gemmae are I need more people like you and Jim to send them to.

(I'd be happy to help you out with that, Big C Kid)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Oct. 24 2005,10:30)]As plentiful as my D. scorpioides gemmae are I need more people like you and Jim to send them to.  
smile_n_32.gif
Something aboutthe name Steve and this forum....

Hey, someone suggested that my growing conditions indeed were the cause of their demise - too much watering during the summer months. They're supposed to be drier and dormant. Although I've read that they don't have to go through a dormancy period. I see plants that are totally dead; dead up to the crown, where it is still green; and plants that are green and red.

If there is ANY green, it ain't dead. Red and green the same.

I understand what you mean by red and green being the same and any green being "aint dead".

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Oct. 24 2005,11:29)](Pingman is gonna kill me for the scientific lack of ettiquette!)
I won't tell if you don't! Plants don't read nomenclature?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (trainspotting @ Oct. 24 2005,11:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As plentiful as my D. scorpioides gemmae are I need more people like you and Jim to send them to.

(I'd be happy to help you out with that, Big C Kid)
Keep an eye on the trade forum. I should have them posted for trade on Saturday.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Oct. 24 2005,9:29)]BCK, with me, scorpioides comes and goes. (Pingman is gonna kill me for the scientific lack of ettiquette!)
For some reason they just keep coming for me. I didn't even manage to kill them early this spring when I forgot to bring them in one night. I woke up the next morning to see them under two inches of wet snow. A few of them bit the dust, but most of them survived.

Back