What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. scorpioides dying after flowering

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 23 2005,7:25)]This summer they did flower and shortly afterward, one by one, most of them died. ... Any ideas why?
As you mentioned earlier, the problem is that you probably kept them too wet. Here is a photo of my D. scorpioides. Gemma were planted in fall 2002. They did not flower in Spring 2003, but formed gemma in the Fall. They flowered in Spring 2004, produced gemma in Fall 2004, flowered again in Spring 2005, and are now getting ready to produce gemma this Fall. It will be interesting to see how many more years they will live.
D_scorpioides3279.JPG

More photos and the story of these plants can be found at
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/zphotos/D_scorpioides.html

So that's what healthy D. scorpioides look like. I think like Jim, I kept mine too wet and in too deep of a pot initially. They are in that same pot however now I let them dry out between waterings. This summer (when kept too wet) the stems shriveled up and several leaned over. I left them on the dryer side and secondary roots developed from the upper green portions of the stems and dove into the soil. Now the tops are thriving again and looking much better. Inside now the photoperiod is 10 hrs. and temps around 60. Will this induce flowering or gemmae ?

Nice pics and article Bob. Like the way you showed the different growth layers.

Mine are growing in various containers 3" to 5" deep. I water them thoroughly, then allow the soil to dry slightly before watering again. The only time I lost plants, was when they got snowed on this last spring. Most of them recovered though.

Would you say that media depth is also an imprtant factor? Mine were only in 2" media, not knowing any better at the time.

I've got some growing in an empty 500ml green plastic 7-Up bottle. It's got about 4½" of soil in it and I can see roots going down all the way to the bottom. So I would lean towards the shallow depth being a factor. The shallow media also makes it hard to keep the soil from drying out too much or being too wet.

Like the Borg, I have adjusted my tactics.
biggrin.gif

I had some time to look over their container and amid being overrun by live LFS and D. intermedia, I saw a small colony of what appears to be second generation plants. I decided to put the live LFS & D. intermedia in one of my mini-bogs and scooped out this small colony of second generation D. scorpioides. They are now residing in a well-washed parmesan cheese container. Hopefully, they wren't too upset by the move.

Back