What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi all,
I am a newbie at sundews, VFTs and Sarracenias. Have killed many VFTs and Sarrracenia in my life. But very glad to say that my 2nd shot at dews, grown from seed, was successful! And I owe it all to Jason and brother, who have been very kind to help me and trade many cool plants with me.

Plants from seed:

D.spatulata
9c44b6b3.jpg

D.intermedia
5a2eaed9.jpg

f5d08368.jpg

They were also very generous with trade items:

'pink venus'
9684c0d2.jpg

D. binata (supposed to be dichotoma giant but still young)
D.jpg

and just for those who enjoy it, (sadistic or just CP-obsessed?):
smile_l_32.gif

c478f73d.jpg

Do the plants seem OK? healthy? I know the spatulatas seem crowded, will transplant, besides those, are any others in bad shape? I am still newbie in this area so need all the help I can get. As you noticed, these are only the begginer plants, am hoping to get burmanii, and later the slighlty more challenging adelae...
Thank you so much Jason and Justin!
smile.gif

(I am from Singapore too btw)
Thanks

edit: for those who were wondering, the intermedia is strong and sticky, but I doubt it could have caught a house fly all by itself: I did the killing for that one!
smile_n_32.gif

Great work!
smile.gif

Just leave the D.spatulata. They won't suffer too much if you don't separate them. In fact, when you do, you'll probably end up with all the dew on your hand and tattered plants. They flower readily in our climate so don't worry that they will be extinct from your pots.
smile_m_32.gif

Unless you use a fine tweezer...but then again you may end up breaking their fine roots...so... lol

Nice plants. I would increase their light. The sundew tentacles should be reddened.

Oh wow awsome dews, i love dews and hope to have some soon myself, love the VFT's as well. Fantastic pics and awsome plants..
smile.gif

hey lam!
well, nice collection. i feel that your dews can do with more light intensity to deepen their colouration to give their colour to the max!

My spathulas are slightly maroonish, the ones cindy pass to me... oops, cindy i know i owe u some byblis and burmannis! will do them soon. there is a new batch of burmanni flowers coming right up! sorry ah!

Great plants!

I love how your D. intermedia took down that house fly
blues.gif

By the way, how long ago did you start your D. spatulata from seed?

Edit: Nevermind about the house fly! I just read your passage about how you did the killing for the plant. Oh well, it was cool to think of the possibility  
smilie4.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (clayton @ Oct. 28 2005,12:13)]hey lam!
well, nice collection. i feel that your dews can do with more light intensity to deepen their colouration to give their colour to the max!

My spathulas are slightly maroonish, the ones cindy pass to me... oops, cindy i know i owe u some byblis and burmannis! will do them soon. there is a new batch of burmanni flowers coming right up! sorry ah!
Hi,
ok, more light, just not much space here... they should flower soon right? Oh, and I started about 4 months ago, I was very happy with results!
Hey you have D. burmanii seeds coming up?
smile.gif
I may be interested, can you PM me if you have spare when the time comes?
Thanksfor all comments

No need to seperate D. spatulata. I have mine crowded and all fighting like they should. And they have already bred like a shelf-full of plants.
smile.gif

Looks like the plants love your place, I don't think they can get much more light than that!

the plants are looking swell!
btw how's the big mouth bulb i gave u? my own separation didn't work, lol

The Drosera definitely would benefit from a little extra light. The giant D. binata var. dichotoma for instance should not be drooping over as it is and will remain very strong and erect when in good light.

The plants do look very healthy though and certainly are not suffering from lack of light- in my opinion they will just look a little nicer if the light levels were a little higher.

I'm new at VFTs and CPs too! And yes, I've killed many VFTs and sarracenias before. Your plants look very, very nice. Very healthy too! I don't think I could've gotten sundew seeds to germinate even if I tried. Your D. intermedia would probably be catching flies on its own in no time! Niice... =]

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't think I could've gotten sundew seeds to germinate even if I tried.

Naw, don't put yourself down like that! You'd be suprised at how easy it is to get sundew seeds to germinate.

Welcome to the forums, by the way
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gemini528 @ Oct. 30 2005,2:12)]I'm new at VFTs and CPs too! And yes, I've killed many VFTs and sarracenias before. Your plants look very, very nice. Very healthy too! I don't think I could've gotten sundew seeds to germinate even if I tried. Your D. intermedia would probably be catching flies on its own in no time! Niice... =]
I could help you out with starter sundews. If you're interested, send me a PM.

Back