What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. derbyensis babies

Here's a photo of some recently-germinated D. derbyensis babies from seed won in the NASC auction (from Jason Wong - one of the few seeds I've gotten to germinate).
Dderbyensis4seedlingsRS.jpg

There are actually 4 plants in this photo. From the larger plant - there is one at 1:00, 4:00 and a tiny one in the lower left corner.

In another post recently, we mentioned some fertilization options. This photo was taken approximately one week after the small trap at 6:00 (on the large plant) was fertilized with pulverized bloodworms (it's still darker than the others with no tentacles showing). At the time, it was easily the longest arm on the plant.

If there are any other petiolaris complex nuts around, I just uploaded some photos in CPUK (sorry for not also putting them here - took too long to load them in 1 place)
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Recent petiolaris complex photos

OH WOW! They are sooooooooooooo tiny and delicate. Beautiful dews RL7836, how old is the larger one?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (*Barracuda_45* @ Oct. 29 2005,10:17)]OH WOW! They are sooooooooooooo tiny and delicate. Beautiful dews RL7836, how old is the larger one?
The larger one germinated a few days before 10/8/05 (that's when I discovered it). The photo was taken on 10/21/05. This plant is almost a mutant with it's growth rate. I had another D. derbyensis sprout in another pot on 9/11/05 and it is roughly the same size as the 2 medium plants in this pot.

Knock on wood, all of these plants are doing well (except for the smallest - that one had an inadvertant mishap
confused.gif
). I'll post add'l picts as they mature.

Hmm... I can't see the smallest one, but at least the other three look healthy. The best of luck to you growing the sundews. (I have never tried growing sundews myself.) =]

Here they are as of 11/11/05 (they'd probably be larger but I've been delinquent with fertilization):
Dderbyensis4seedlings111105RS.jpg

Great baby pix! Thanks for showing them!

They are beautiful! I bid on those seeds but you stole them away.
smile_n_32.gif
lol

Looks like they found a great home though. Congratulations on your success.
smile.gif

Update: These guys grew very well for a while then virtually stopped through much of the winter - only putting out a few leaves here and there. It looks like they've started to grow again...
Dderbyensisbabies051906RS.jpg

My apologies for changing the orientation of the photo - imagine that the photo is rotated 180 deg (the larger plant on the bottom is the smallest plant at the top of the previous pics)

Cool plants! I've never really seen fury dews before.

-Ben

Ya thanks Ron, all these cool pics and I barely have enough room the way it is ! After the wifes impatients get big enough out the door they go !! I'll have to start looking for some of these seeds. What are your conditions and lighting ?

Again, gorgeous plants!

Back