What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera

glider14

Always a newbie
hey, what is the best drosera to pick for a beginner such as me? easiest to raise and germinate

D. capensis.

Im a newbie to dews and i do say Capensis is stunningly beautiful and very cute plant.

Add to that: D. spatulata, binata, filiformis, aliciae, burmannii....

My very first sundew was an aliciae and it died so horribly
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ Oct. 31 2005,11:03)]My very first sundew was an aliciae and it died so horribly
smile_h_32.gif
Of course our first anything tend to fail miserably (VFT, girlfriend, baseball at bat...)

I think it depends on your conditions.

I've been growing mine indoors (temperate terrarium) and had smashing success so far with adelae. I started with 1 in May (a Lowes rescue, so it wasn't in great shape) it's plantlets now number them at 10. But the one I placed outdoors isn't that happy, and is no longer reproducing. I think outdoors a different species would be happier, as the climate is not Aussie-like out there.

I tried capensis indoors, along with spatulata, and a couple others and I killed them all. I know it was something to do with my care/conditions because capensis and spatulata are renowned as prolific growers.

Indoors? Lots of them!!! D. capensis, D. spatulata, D. nidiformis, D. dielsiana, D. venusta, D. slackii, there are tons that respond well to basic treatment. I will say I have a D. capensis 'alba' that has survived what no drosera should ever survive.

Capslock

thanks guys that rely helped:)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Oct. 31 2005,3:07)]I will say I have a D. capensis 'alba' that has survived what no drosera should ever survive.

Capslock
funny you should say that. i moved my two capensis pots from off and under flourecents to a south window. i think its actually about killed my typical capensis but my albino form looks great.

i say capensis, any of the other east to find South African species or D. spatulata

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 31 2005,11:58)]Of course our first anything tend to fail miserably (VFT, girlfriend, baseball at bat...)
LMAO!! Jim thats to funny but i think we ALL manage to fail at something sooner or later.. Me im trying very hard to do well by my new sundews i recived from you and i tell ya im pampering them big time and they all seem to be doing well right now with most having new growth already.
smile.gif
Im a first time mom to sundews and wow i know i better watch my P's & Q's with these precious gems.
smile_m_32.gif
I have a massive green thumb when it comes to any plants so lets hope that pays off with the CPs as well..
smilie4.gif

Back