What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera regia

Today I ordered a Drosera regia and I've never grown this plant before. I'm sure many of you have grown it or are currently growing it. I would really appreciate some tips on caring for the King Sundew!

talk to Pinguiculaman. i believe he has his own cultivar.

Ok, thanks. I'll see if I can PM him and get some info.

Actually, there are a ton of threads covering this very subject right here on PFT forums and at CPUK forums. Why don't you run a search?

Man, where did you buy one
smile_k_ani_32.gif
. I just got one off ebay, but I haven't gotten it yet
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Actually, there are a ton of threads covering this very subject right here on PFT forums and at CPUK forums. Why don't you run a search?

I actually didn't think of that. I'll do that soon. Thanks!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Man, where did you buy one

I ordered it from Sarracenia Northwest today. They're by far my favorite CP company and they sell GREAT plants. In fact, today they added a bunch of new plants (one of which being the King Sundew...they also have Australian Pitcher Plants for sale now as well) so if you want another King Sundew, go order now before they sell out!

No point doing a search as it seems like the old threads concerning D. regia have been deleted. Pity as there were a number of good ones as I seem to recall.

I also am thinking as to grow the plant, but it seens to be a little too dificult, is it?

Well, since all the threads seem to have been deleted, would any of you mind answering some quick questions?

1) I've heard that this plant doesn't require a dormancy. Is this correct?
2) Does the King Sundew do well in terrariums? I plan on growing mine in a tank lit by two 23 watt compact flourescents.
3) Is the water tray method suitable for Drosera regia?
4) Does it grow fast? In other words, since I'm purchasing a "small" plant, how long will it take to mature?

Thanks!

Deleted? I just searched for keyword "regia" and it pulled up five pages worth of old threads. Just be sure to adjust the "search from" field at the bottom of the page to say "from the beginning" and the search function should pull up all of the old threads
smile.gif

Good luck,
Corey

D. regia is a beautiful plant. Grows well for me with highland Nepenthes. It's in an 8" pot sitting in about an inch of water. When growth slows for a short time in Winter, I cut back the water a little.

Have fun with it,
KPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ispahan @ Nov. 03 2005,5:41)]Deleted? I just searched for keyword "regia" and it pulled up five pages worth of old threads. Just be sure to adjust the "search from" field at the bottom of the page to say "from the beginning" and the search function should pull up all of the old threads
smile.gif

Good luck,
Corey
Correct you are! I should have made the effort to scroll down to ensure that not only the current month was selected. (where's the embarrassed smiley?).

Anyway, all you ever need to know will be found amongst those 5 pages of archived threads.

To my knowledge, no threads have been deleted.  The forums have been pruned only once and that was a very long time ago and only "useless" posts were deleted...nothing "meaty."

As for D. regia, mine was slow to get started growing, but once it did, it grew very well.  It does seem to "die back" or rest every so often but each time it starts new crowns.  It is growing back now from the last rest producing 8 new crowns in addition to the 3 remaining older crowns.  
biggrin.gif

I grow mine almost as an aquatic.  It was in cooler conditions under lights in my basement planted in pure LFS with redwood mulch in the bottom of the pot.

Its quite a beautiful plant.

Beautiful photos Bob...I love the flower!

Start posting pics
biggrin.gif
!

On the west coast, D.regia can be grown outside year-round. I have heard that low daytime humidity dosn't bother It, as long as it gets cool, humid nights. I've seen a 2 foot monster of a plant growing on a windowsill in california several years back. I can't grow this one though, I live in Atlanta, GA. At least I have good conditions for lowland neps.

Back