What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holy crud it germinated!

I finaly got my drosophyllum seeds to germinate!! Ok, i finaly have a seedling, a large healthy juicy seedling, what advice do you guys have on getting this baby to survive, better said, what do i have to do to insure the survival. Also what is the survival rate?

Still waiting for mine to germinate. I think I see a bud on one of them, but that's just me. Where are you growing your seedling? Are you going to do the double-pot method. I think you can transplant it right away or when it has it's 3rd leaf up. This is also my first time growing, so it's better to ask someone with experience :p

Good job! (I've never grown Sundew) but good job anyway.
smile.gif

Drosophyllum isn't a sundew, it's in the same family as a sundew, but not a sundew.

CONGRATS on the new baby seedling 7santiago..
smile_m_32.gif
smile.gif
Now when do we get to see pics of the new baby..
smile_n_32.gif

Im growing it as a house plant under growlights. Oh and a drosophyllum is in the sundew clase.

Oh whoops, I guess I meant Drosera, but I haven't grown drosophyllum either!
biggrin.gif

the thing is sooooo anoying!!!!!

It is light sesitive so i bends torward the light, i found the plant on the ground pionting torward the lights of my room. In less than three minutes, when i first loged on, i turned on the light and it has bent a 60-50 degrees angle. What an amazing plant. Best part is i only used three seeds and im stil have more!
laugh.gif

Drosophyllum seedlings do have a tendancy to drop dead for no obvious reason. I've just successfully succeeded with two out of three seedlings that germinated in August, however. I kept them sitting in water, but drying out slightly between waterings, and they've done fine. They have a tendancy to wilt if kept too dry, and a reliable Drosophyllum expert informed me that he keeps all of his seedlings sitting in water. I've actually seen some seedlings he'd grown in this way at a CPS meeting. There were hundreds of them, and they looked very healthy. I bought one of them, and grew it into adulthood. Keeping the compost wet in this way is contrary to the advice in books such as 'Insect Eating Plants...' & 'The Savage Garden', but it does seem to work. In contrast, my adult plant seems perfectly able to tolerate bone dry soil with no ill consequences. I water it only when the leaves begin to appear less dewy than usual. Give your plant as much light as you possibly can, and don't ever transplant it. It'll produce a lot of dew and smell of honey if it's happy.

Good luck,

Greg

Hmm... you should have a light directly over them. Maybe then they won't bend every which way? I don't know. Just a thought.

ok well i was going to post a topic on mine but i found yours so i felt like i should add to it . but i just noticed mine sprouted today also. What happened was i had it outside in the cold for some time and actually a frost came and it did not hit the pots but then i brought it inside and its now a week later being under a nice warm light with bottom heat and a covered top on it and it sprouted and its actually 2 millimeters tall so i must not of noticed it for a day or 2.

well congrats, carnivorkid!

Greg, What do you meen by "drop dead", i always thought this ment that the seedling colapses and dies, mine didn't die it just apears on the soil every morning then i turn the light on and hour later it stands up.

Ok the seedling has grown EXTREAMLLY fast!!!!! here are some before
after pictures. That is if you can spot the before.
smile_n_32.gif

before

after

before

after

lol !
smile_m_32.gif
thats just three days!!!! Its sooo dewy too!

damp off claimed its life....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (7santiago @ Nov. 18 2005,3:26)]damp off claimed its life....
Unfortunately, not an uncommon experience.

Another explanation: Some cultures believe that when you photograph something, the photo captures the spirit. Perhaps all of the pictures that you took just sucked the life out of the seedling.

This is my plant, taken two weeks ago. It has another leaf emerging. There is a Genlisea hispidula in the background. I have no idea how this Drosphyllum got in this yogurt container.

AF002601.jpg

good luck jimscot, bobz good idea ill start photographing my litle brother right away
smile_n_32.gif

can your propagate Drosophyllum with leaf cuttings?

According to Mr.D'Amato, no - only seeds.

Back