What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.capensis x paradoxa?

Was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to cross both of these plants. I got some flowers going on
biggrin.gif

Start smooshing them together and report the results!

ohhhhhh that would be sooooooooo cool, try it and name it after yourself.
smile.gif

I was thinking maybe, 'Capadoxa' or 'Parensis'
smile_m_32.gif

Nice Jimscott!

Is there any technical procedure I should follow, or should I just mash the two open flowers on each other? Also how long do I have to cross-pollinate before they self polinate themselves? Meaning would it be too late to cross pollinate a flower if it already opened and closed?

Smooshing is the easiest but not the most effective approach. Some people use toothpicks and specifically transfer pollen. I would think that by the time the flower has closed it would be too late, but I'm not sure. I'm speculating that it is analogous to ovulation and menstruation - a window of opportunity.

Check out the cross-pollination article in the article forum.

So, did anything interesting happen?

-Ben

yes i want to know!!

It's probably been done in Japan

Japan...where everything begins
smile_n_32.gif

Yeah, just the other day I was looking at my D. capensis plant, and I noticed on one of its leaves, the words 'Made in China' were printed on it.

-Ben

Well, D. capensis and D. paradoxa would not cross each other, I am afraid.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, D. capensis and D. paradoxa would not cross each other, I am afraid.

Care to offer any sort of elaboration? I mean, is there a physiological explanation, or is it something that has been noted after attempts?

I think it might be a question of karyotypes.

i think shokuchuu is right. two different species would have different DNA. i know this i just learned about it in Biology

Back