What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis liniflora

I just ordered some Byblis liniflora seeds from Sarracenia Northwest (if you want some they're on sale now - but order quick!) and I want to know some basics about getting this seed to germinate. I read in The Savage Garden that once they germinate they grow very quickly, producing many self-pollinating flowers. Is this true?

Yes, they grow very quickly and can flower within 6-8 weeks.

Good to know
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Nov. 17 2005,2:34)]I just ordered some Byblis liniflora seeds from Sarracenia Northwest (if you want some they're on sale now - but order quick!) and I want to know some basics about getting this seed to germinate. I read in The Savage Garden that once they germinate they grow very quickly, producing many self-pollinating flowers. Is this true?
I could have sent you some for free
smile.gif

Are you serious? Dang it! Now I'm sad
smile_h_32.gif

Question: If I can somehow cancel my order, are you saying you'll send me some?
smile_n_32.gif

Actually Dewy, I'll probably just keep my order. I feel bad just taking your hard-earned seed from you
smile.gif

Thank you for the offer though. Very kind of you!

Oh, I have lots of B.liniflora seeds. Today I harvested over 60 seeds from just ONE seed pod. I have another one that should produce the same amount in about 2 weeks. If yours don't germinate, you can PM me.

PS- I will be on vacation the 23rd throught the 6th of December.

Very cool man. Thanks again for such a nice offer! I'll definitely let you know if I get a bunch of "duds."

When they sprout, make sure to feed them. They will grow faster. I have two byblis seedlings, one germinated on October 19 and the other germinated on October 21. I feed the older one things like mini moths or mosquitos. I didn't feed the younger one. Fast forward to one month later and the older one is 3x taller and has 11 leaves and the younger only has about 6 or 7 leaves and....My two D.burmannii or diesiana seedlings are so slow
smile_h_32.gif
Also, how can I tell when my byblis is about to make a flower stalk and can the flower stalk also digest insects?

What's the best soil mix for Byblis? I've heard that a sandy mix is best, but I've also read somewhere on these forums (perhaps it was from Chloroplast) that a mix of peat/perlite/LFS is good too.

I recently bought some horticultural sand from Home Depot. Would this be ok for my Byblis seeds?

I've found a mix of sand:peat:perlite is best, although I haven't tried using LFS. Using perlite seems to get better results than not using it for me.

That's it, I'm bumping pinguiculaman's germination technique.

Back