What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.sessifolia

Cindy

Staff member
I am letting my only plant flower to get seeds and may end up losing it. Just wondering if this fella is as easy as D.intermedia, D.spatulata or its twin D.burmanni...

Please don't compare it with D.capensis.Some of you will know, our climate here is the bane of the sundew weed king's existence!
smile_m_32.gif

It's very easy, it can grow anywhere a D.burmanni can. It originates from lowland equatorial regions of brazil, so you should have no trouble with it in Singapore. It lives as an annual in the wet season, but can live for sevaral years if you keep it moist, warm, and remove the flower stalks. They slowly die off after they flower, so if you want to keep a plant around for several years, don't let it flower. The main difference between it and D. burmannii is that it is slightly smaller, has almost perfectly round leaves, and turns a golden-yellow color if given good light. Also, like D. burmannii, if you let this one flower, it will produce copious seed and weed itself around your collection. It is also known to readilly hybridize with D. burmannii, producing D. x theocalyxana(Sp?).

I've tried twice to germinate D. sessilifolia and have not had any luck so I can't so much for the topic but congratulations on your 1000 posts.

For me, sessilifolia and burmanni are equally difficult to keep alive for more than a year. Whether I allow them to flower or not, the parent plant tends to die. However, after flowering, hundreds of volunteer seedlings soon pop up everywhere. So, for me, they are indeed similar to capensis (and P. lusitanica) -- a nice weed under my conditions.

Easy to germinate, hard to keep long term.

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to scatter the seeds everywhere!
smile.gif

I wsa given a seed packet last year and not a one germinated for me. This summer I was given another pavket and got one lonely plant:

AF000201.jpg

This plant intrigues me. I have always loved D. burmannii, especially now that I have tons of seedlings maturing in my collection (and the colony that Jim sent me - thanks Jim!). I definitely want to try this plant someday...

I also didn't have any luck with Drosera burmanni seeds. I hear that the seeds easily germinate when they fall right from the flower... thus making it a weed... maybe they have a short lifetime? Or maybe it has something to do with shipping in envelopes? Hmm.. I think all seeds should be bubble wrapped when shipped in an envelope. It's not like it costs any more for postage... unless you put way too much bubble wrap in it. It's too bad though, burmanni is a really cool sundew.

-(Kyle)-

Back