What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous sundew spotted

Today I was checking my plants as usual and I was checking my minibog which I rarely check because the only thing I have there is dormant D.filiformis ssp filiformis. Well anyways, I saw that my root cutting of D.binata multifida extrema decided to sent a plantlet which is good news for me, since the parent plant isn't doing well. Well anyways, as I was looking around in the minibog, I noticed a tiny sundew, I remembered about 2 months ago, sowing some tuberous sundew seeds there. It could be another sundew, but if it is a tuberous, Can I transplant it, or should I just leave it there and does it use the tray method as sundews usually do? I doubt it's a tuberous, but just asking just in case it is.

Unless you anticipate a problem with keeping it in the mini-bog - like temperature or being crowded out, "if it aint broke..."

I guess the only problem is that the soil is too shallow, about 2-3 inches, it was higher, but ever since I poked holes into it, I guess the soil gradually leaked through.

Then now would be a good time, making sure you get a good amount of the soil beneath and around the plant, to minimize shock.

Oh ok I'm going to repot it tomorrow. It might be just another drosera and not a tuberous, but just in case it is. How do I take care of a tuberous sundew, do they use the tray method and for summer, the soil has to be completely dry? Do they mean dry as in a desert or just barely damp?

I have only had D. pelata and after awhile, the plants just disappeared. I thought they would reappear this fall, but... Sarraceniascott has tuberous sundews. Maybe ask him directly.

The ICPS maintains a thorough page on tuberous Drosera cultivation - you should take a look at it. So far as water goes, I'm pretty sure you let the plants get bone dry once they start to die back, and only place the pot in water again once you see new growth emerging in the fall.
Best luck,
~Joe

Back