What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf and root cuttings

I was going to post this in general discussion, but since I'm only talking about drosera, might as well put it here. After like 2 months, my root cuttings (well, not really a root cutting, more like i the roots that got left in the minibog when I repotted it)of D.binata multifida extrema have finally made a plantlet ( a big plantler :p). How many plantlets does a root cutting usually yield and do they mature faster then leaf cuttings. Only advantage I know is that root cuttings already have a root while leaf cuttings are really tiny and either don't have roots developed or just really minuisle. Does this species do well for leaf cuttigns, everytime I try, I always fail, I try changing the water every week, then I try changing it every 3 days and it still rots. Also, for root cuttings, is it necessary to cut them in one or two inch segments and do you bury them or do you keep them on top like leaf cuttings and has water propagation been done for root cuttings?

D.binata extrema leaf cuttings did not work for me. They rotted away too. But the roots did work. I laid them on perlite, secured with a few pieces of live sphagnum. Each cutting is about 2-3 inches long.

I have buried root cuttings in the same pot as the mother plant before. The roots were growing out of the bottom of the pot and I cut them away. Worked well too.
smile.gif

When I have put D. binata leaves in a 50 ml centrifuge tube, as is, without cutting into several pieces, ~15-20 new plants form. The best way to get them from tube of water to a pot, is to do so gradually. That is, empty the contents into a swamp, and let the roots work themselves into the soil, while water evaporates.

I'll ned to try that Jimscott!
smile_m_32.gif
I am always trying to propogate my Drosera. I remember back in the day, in my first collection, I made all sorts of binata complex cuttings and had oodles of plants. In fact, I made so many cuttings that when I returned to AK to survey my dead collection, the binata complex sundews and S. purpurea were the only ones that survived! I'm surprised they did, with half a year inside a box with no light. I was so happy
biggrin.gif
. Those binatas are still with me today as the only remenants of my first collection.
But anyway, leaf cuttings are good, but root cuttings are better and quicker to give you established plants. I often have good success using the flower stalks for propogation when I cut them off. If you don't want them to flower, turn the stalk into an extra plant!
biggrin.gif

Has anyone had this problem with D.binata multifida extrema. I was checking my plantlet and already the newest leaf which is in the rolled up stage is turning brown. The exact same thing happen with the original plant. Is there a way to fix this, I repotted it in a different pot with new soil and I'm using the tray method. I heard they liked hanging baskets with live lfs, but I don't have alot of live lfs, just seedlings or whatever it's called.

Just use regular lfs.

Premature leaf die-back in Drosera binata complex plants is most often caused by humidity being too low, mite infestation, or both.

It can't be humidity because I use the water tray system, don't know if it's a mite infestation because I repotted it. Can this also be cause if the media is too wet?

I just made some leaf cuttings from my D. binata. We'll see how they do.

My leaf cuttings are starting to turn black again. I only have 4 or 5 green leaves, I'm trying to propagate D.spatulata and D.capensis 'red' and the capensis turnen black. I changed the water every 3 days, and gave it clean water every time. Is this because of the water or is it because of the insects on the leaf?

Back