What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B. liniflora

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ Jan. 10 2006,3:33)]Cool, I was worried that stigma make snap off as I was brushing pollen on it. How can a small little purple thing produce 25-50 seeds :p
The same way a D.capensis can produce a few hundred seeds. The stigma appears to be rather strong IME. I have bent it many ways (by accident) and it didn't snap or break.
dewy

How do I know when to snip off the flower stalk, so I can collect the seeds? The petals fall off about a few days ago and the seed pod/fruit is swelling more and more each day. I don't want to wake up one day and look at the flower stalk and see a bunch of seeds all over the windowsill
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ Jan. 15 2006,7:25)]How do I know when to snip off the flower stalk, so I can collect the seeds? The petals fall off about a few days ago and the seed pod/fruit is swelling more and more each day. I don't want to wake up one day and look at the flower stalk and see a bunch of seeds all over the windowsill  
smile_n_32.gif
When the seed pod turns brown and begins to split down the middle, you can cut it off and harvest the seeds. Also, you can just wait for it to split open by itself, revealing the seeds.

I tried this....without the bleach

took a week for half the liniflora's to germinate.

I received a batch a few weeks ago and was instructed to use lemon juice. So far only one has germinated.

I was following pingmans instructions when I realized I wasn't allowed to touch the bottle of bleach... so after they soaked for a day in the hot water (it wasn't hot long) I put them all on peat, put a clear cup over it, and stuck it directly under a hd. They all sprouted except 1 in 1 week.

Chemicals are not necessary, though a drop of superthrive in the water doesn't hurt

your not allowed to touch a bottle of bleach?

my mom got angry cos... last time I used the bleaching chemical i bleached a towel and it was all patchy

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseradude @ June 29 2006,6:53)]I was following pingmans instructions when I realized I wasn't allowed to touch the bottle of bleach... so after they soaked for a day in the hot water (it wasn't hot long) I put them all on peat, put a clear cup over it, and stuck it directly under a hd. They all sprouted except 1 in 1 week.

Chemicals are not necessary, though a drop of superthrive in the water doesn't hurt
I have been able to successfully germinate B.liniflora seeds by soaking them in water for 1-2 days, and then planting them. This method seems to work best for me and is very simple. I have also let the seeds stay in water and they germinated underwater. I think the main reason soaking them in water works well is because in their natural environment the seeds fall from the mother plant during the dry season and undergo a "dry stratification" period. When spring rains come it stimulates the seeds to germinate and the process starts all over again.
dewy

Aside from spring rains breaking down the seedcoat, is there a minimum temperature that which they need to germinate?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How do I know when to snip off the flower stalk, so I can collect the seeds? The petals fall off about a few days ago and the seed pod/fruit is swelling more and more each day. I don't want to wake up one day and look at the flower stalk and see a bunch of seeds all over the windowsill

I've got some leaves that're covered in seeds. No big deal considering the volume of seed produced.

B. liniflora has seed pods which aren't critically or violently dehiscent- that is, they don't "throw" their seed very far. It's pretty easy to prevent the loss of seeds, all you need to do is check your buds once a day. The best sign that its ready is if you can see seeds through the ovary without it being cracked yet (just makes collection safer.) Them being brown is sort of a crapshoot, I've had ones that dry out a bit and brown but are nowhere near ready.

Just don't worry too much, the pods wont explode on ya if you ignore them for a few days or something! Pretty forgiving.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ July 02 2006,5:43)]Aside from spring rains breaking down the seedcoat, is there a minimum temperature that which they need to germinate?
Usually about 80F for me. They also like high humidity.

I usually wait for the seed pod to split open before I harvest the seeds.
dewy

If you do wait for it to split open
though it doesn't "toss" the seeds too far, some of them DO drop down to the soil. I found 8 seeds by looking very very closely, a year after my generation died, sitting on the soil. When the pod is ready, you could take scissors and cut it off, then open it over a clean white paper. You should probably wait until the stalk is starting to die.

Or, if you were really into it you could even take some seran wrap and make a little bubble around the pod, and wait as long as you want.

For temperatures, like dewy said 80 is good, but remember---they can take much, much hotter. I think my last few seedlings had 100 degrees to sprout. Little byblis liniflora are very tough. Humidity is a must to sprout them, but once they sprout they can take lower.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseradude @ July 08 2006,12:47)]For temperatures, like dewy said 80 is good, but remember---they can take much, much hotter. I think my last few seedlings had 100 degrees to sprout. Little byblis liniflora are very tough. Humidity is a must to sprout them, but once they sprout they can take lower.
I have to agree what you said about them being tough. I planted 3 B.liniflora seeds on a pot of U.livida about 6-8 months ago and I never saw anything germinate. So, I moved the pot outside where the U.livida began exploding in new growth. Well, after a heavy rain one day, lo and behold, there was a B.liniflora seedling that was pretty much covered in peat moss. Two weeks later, the seedling is growing like a gangbuster along with a mysterious D.burmannii seedling in the pot, even though it hasn't even been in the same room as my D.burmannii. So, B.liniflora is a very tough plant that loves temps above 80F, and can handle low humidity after germination.
dewy

I just moved my setup to the attic, where it is plenty warm! We'll see what happens. The one seedling is doing just fine.

HD lights heat up and make things bright. Use them!

Back