What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Scorpiodes Info

I tried to do a google search on this but I couldn't find anything. So if anyone could give me some info on this plant that would be great. I'm able to get some free seeds but I don't know anything about it as I only have VFT's. The main thing is how to grow them from the seeds and what soil mix to use. Thanks for everything.

Seeds? D. scorpiodes is a pygmy dew. And from my understanding, they don't really (ever??) produce seed. They do produce gemmae, wish is a modified leaf form, which forms on the top of the plants and when rain hits them, they fly off the plant with the help of some spring loaded hairs under each gemmae. These produce identicle copies of the parent plant. Basically like a leaf cutting or division. You can see some gemmae on the top of my plants i have pictured in this topic in the first picture... It's the little pod looking things right on the top of the plant. Actually, this picutre is of D. scorpiodes specifically....
Andrew

See how much I don't know about this plant. I'm getting some gemmae. But soil mix should I use and how should I grow this?

Tamlin's pygmy article
Read that article. It is by our very own dew expert. His computer is busted so you find him around lately... But this topic should give you jsut about all the info you need!
Good luck!
Andrew

If D.scorpiodes only produce by gemmae and not seed, does everyone have the same plant?

Now I may be wrong on this whole thing but that's what i remember. LOL I think that's why there is not any seed... There really isn't any cross polination... I wish Tamlin were here to correct me lol

Why would they flower if they never made seed? Kind of funny, if you ask me. I'm sure it's possible for them to make seeds, just that it's rare.

I'm sure the flowers are "able" to make seed. What I understand there to be lacking is the cross polination. Since all the pygmy plants are pretty well crossed with eachother... One pollen to another plant is seen to be the same plant, therefore, no seed is produced. I'll see if I can find more info on this other than my bad memory
smile_m_32.gif

EDIT!!

I simply looked over the article I poste above by Tamlin, here is a quote from it which may help explain the situation...

".... they grow through the winter and flower the next spring. The plants are generally sterile, having evolved stable characteristics, and the clonal nature of their reproduction ensures that they will not lose a “good plan” by random recombination of genes. They require different clones to form fertile seed. The flowers are beautiful and prolific, and the plants bloom continually from spring to early fall. There is a definite summer rest period, and in habitat, a true dormancy. (Most species will forego the dormancy, and this should be encouraged in cultivation, as losses are high during dormancy). ..."

Also though, info on the ICPS site shows there can infact be seed.... I think gemmae is waaay more common though.
smile_m_32.gif
So it is possible you have seed... if you do, here is info by growign it that way from the ICPS site.
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/D_pygmies.htm

Some organisms do a simlar thing: they reproduce strictly asexually when things are good, but when stresses come along, they reproduce sexually to try to ensure that some will live on. I wonder how much genetic diversity there is in cultivation. I often wonder the same about highly T/Ced plants... Hmmm.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Dec. 03 2005,9:03)]Some organisms do a simlar thing: they reproduce strictly asexually when things are good, but when stresses come along, they reproduce sexually to try to ensure that some will live on.
This is also what I do... Too bad everything has been going good lately. I learned this method from Ozzy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Dec. 03 2005,11:25)]I learned this method from Ozzy.
Hmmmm. We must be careful with words...this paints a word picture not favorable to either of you...but as long as your wife doesn't mind
smile_m_32.gif

It wasn't a personal experience between us. Ozzy has a web page on this method and also holds a few confrences a few times a year around the United States.

Think of a gemmae as being similar to a crocus bulb.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ Dec. 04 2005,8:44)]It wasn't a personal experience between us. Ozzy has a web page on this method and also holds a few confrences a few times a year around the United States.
Not much hand shaking going on at those confrences is there?

Back