What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does a B. liniflora seedling look like?

I sowed some B. liniflora seeds all around my collection a few weeks back and I'm starting to see some growth...but I don't know if it's B. liniflora or some of the other seeds I've sown
smile_n_32.gif
I know, I know, I should have kept it all organized. The thing is, I'm always all about the more natural, crowded look. This isn't the point though...

...Can anyone post a picture of a newly emerging B. liniflora seedling? It would help in a huge way
smilie4.gif

If I only I had a camera and 2 months ago, I would have shown you a pic. When I first saw the seedling, it only had two leaves and it was in the shape of the letter T.

Here's a picture of mine.

Bliniflora.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If I only I had a camera and 2 months ago, I would have shown you a pic. When I first saw the seedling, it only had two leaves and it was in the shape of the letter T.

That's definitely what my seedling looks like. Was it bigger than your average Drosera seedling? From what I can see this one is.

Elgecko: Thanks for the picture. How old are the plants there?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Dec. 08 2005,3:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If I only I had a camera and 2 months ago, I would have shown you a pic. When I first saw the seedling, it only had two leaves and it was in the shape of the letter T.

That's definitely what my seedling looks like. Was it bigger than your average Drosera seedling? From what I can see this one is.

Yep, B. liniflora seedlings are much larger than those of Drosera.

Good luck, it's a beauty of a plant to grow!

Cheers
Amori

If you want to make it grow faster, start feeding it mayflies or fruitflies. I had two byblis that sprouted almost the same day, just 2 days apart. I feed the older one and never feed the younger one, now the older one has 14+ leaves and the younger still only has 5 :p. Don't try feeding it ants, for me ants just never get stuck :p.

I do not recall, but would guess around 6 months.

Thanks guys. Hopefully it is a Byblis liniflora seedling. I'm really looking forward to growing it!

And these are mine, which are Elgecko's:

AF001801.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you want to make it grow faster, start feeding it mayflies or fruitflies.

Perhaps this is wishful thinking! The most recent research suggests that B liniflora, unlike B filifolia, cannot produce enzymes, and so cannot digest prey without the aid of capsid bugs. Nice pictures of healthy plants, by the way.

Greg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The most recent research suggests that B liniflora, unlike B filifolia, cannot produce enzymes, and so cannot digest prey without the aid of capsid bugs. Nice pictures of healthy plants, by the way.

Very interesting. So giving my little plant bugs won't do a thing then, right? It'll just take the life of an innocent bug
smile_k_ani_32.gif

It does appear so. I'm somewhat baffled by the whole thing, to be honest. My own plants produce extra fluid when they catch a larger insect such as a moth, and it is also known that the plants possess sessile glands that are able to readily absorb pre-digested fluid. I have read that fungi may play a role in digestion (I think that D'Amato, for example, mentions this possibility), but I don't know of any proof for this theory. Perhaps someone has fed some seedlings and deprived others of food and compared the growth rates?

Interestingly, Hartmeyer, on his website, refers to some very interesting tests that were done on Roridula and its resident Pameridea bugs. In these experiments, fruit flies were fed food containing nitrogen that was tagged in a particular way so it could be readily identified. The fruit flies were then placed on the Roridula plants. The bugs, which are able to move around the Roridual plants without being caught, sucked the captured fruit flies dry, and then deposited droppings on the Roridula plants' leaves. The scientists who conducted the experiment were able do demonstrate that the tagged nitrogen had made its way into the Roridula plants, presumably via the Pameridea bugs. Therefore, it is arguable that Roridula is carnivorous; it certainly traps prey and is able to benefit from its ability to do this. I think that B. liniflora probably works in exactly the same way, although I am puzzled by the fact that it does appear to produce juices of some sort when fed.

no, fungus might of decomposed the bug...

Just so ya know, in my picture, the little brown things stuck to their leaves - are fruitflies. What they were doing with them... I don't know.
confused.gif

I don't know if it's fungus that decomposes the insect, My byblis <span style='color:red'>[Edit: spelling: Byblis, genus names are always written with an initial capital letter.]</span> is already pretty much huge and I feed it any chance I get and my other byblis <span style='color:red'>[Edit: spelling: Byblis, genus names are always written with an initial capital letter.]</span> I ignore and never feed and they are 2 days apart. Is it a coincedence, I don't know
confused.gif
, but hey whatever works :p

An update on this situation:

That seedling is definitely a B. liniflora! Whoo hoo! I've watched it progress these past few days and I can see a ton of dew on its small leaves. It's growing fast, as it's doubled in size since it sprouted last week.

Some other great news is that I had two more B. liniflora seedlings sprout in the past few days, in different pots throughout my collection. There's hope just yet! Booyeah Grandma!

Sorry for the delay on this, hope it is still helpful

Byblis liniflora seedlings sown 10/19/2005
bliniflorasdlngPWRdec05.JPG

Thanks for the pictures Power. My little guys definitely look like that
smile.gif

In fact, they're just about that size right now.

Excellent! Reading through this thread again makes me miss my seedlings. They all got pretty big, and I ended up trading all three of them away. I hope to try germinating some seeds again the next couple years, but I just don't have any space right now.

They're such beautiful plants though. So delicate looking.

Back