What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis in need of help!!!

glider14

Always a newbie
Ahhh my D. Capensis was growing strong. Its new tentecals grew at least an inch every week and a half. Then disaster it started as a spot but grew larger in an extreme amount of time. I will get pictures ASAP. Please help me!
glider

the plant was up to the top of my hand
d.jpg

this is a top view showing every thing that fell off
d2.jpg

this was the top that fell off...
d3.jpg

is it fungus or just natural??
HELP!

What are its growing conditions (soil, light, humidity, air circulation, feeding/watering schedule)? Are those other capensis plants on the side of the pot?

The pics are a bit fuzzy, but based on these and your description, it seems like classic leaf rot to me (center plant). Immediately cut off the black/brown portions and apply sulfur powder to the cut. You may also want to lightly spray some fungicide (Captan) on and around the plant if you have any. Let the soil dry out a bit, place the plant in a bright spot with good air circulation, keep the leaves from touching the soil or getting wet, and pray.

The other possibility is that the plant is responding to cold (<50F), but only you would know whether this is the case.

If the center of the plant is still green, it may be salvageable--sometimes the root system can form a new plant even if all of the topgrowth is dead, so I'd keep the plant for a while even if it ends up "dying" (just isolate it from other plants).

Hope it makes it.

Do you have a plastic bag over the pot?
If so, you do not need it for D. capensis, and might be rotting the plant.
I grow mine as windowsill plants. They do great this way.

elgecko-ya I have a bag over it. Its just wiered that it was so healthy had tons of tentecals and yet still this happened.
chloroplast-No they arnt little plants they are the tentecals that have fallen off. Is ther any substitute to sulfer powder?
thanks

Take off the bag. You are causing a part of the problem by cutting off all air circulation. I realize you are trying everything, but you might be killing it with kindness, and trying too hard.

Yep, what bugweed said. All my dews grow outside in the open. No problems. Although once I had a capensis that rotted from the inside out. I couldn't save the plant but I did get a nice fat root off of it, which now is 2 big healthy plants.

CNCreefer-i like in ketucky and winters get pretty cold so i cant usually do that

Take the bag off and grow them on a windowsill or another location in the house that gets some direct sunlight. D. capensis will grow very happily there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]elgecko-ya I have a bag over it.

I would do as the others suggested and remove the bag.  It hinders good air circulation which is important when dealing with rot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is ther any substitute to sulfer powder?

Sulfur powder is easy to find but if you don't have it, you might want to try charcoal powder.  Many people simply leave the cut untreated--when pruning most healthy plants I also don't treat them, but when dealing with a pathogen that is trying its best to find ways to attack the plant, I use the sulfur.

I'll just join in on the group discussion by giving the same advice: Air circulation will make your Cape Sundew very happy
smile.gif

Back