What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pigmy dew gemmae

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
My very first pigmy sundews were a bunch of D. scorpioides gemmae I received almost 2 years ago, from Big CarnivourKid, heretofore referred to as BCK. Their gemmae are acorn shaped and apparently larger and different than every other gemmae I've received since (nitidula, pulchella,...) Although I have seen pictures of a full crown of D. scorpioides, I really didn't know what to expect from my plants or the other pigmy dews. While packing my collection for my move to NY, I saw crowns of what looked like dark green fish scales or fleas. I decided to poke a pen tip in the crown to see what was going on. To my surprise and delight, I saw these green scales / fleas jettison the crown, realizing I now had second generation gemmae. Anybody else experience this?

I have a D. scorpiodes but since I keep all my terrariums on a 16 hour photoperiod all year long, it hasn't produced gemmae for me. My plants will always think that it's summer, so I doubt I'll ever get gemmae from my pygmies.

Kind of a bummer, now that I think about it
smile_n_32.gif

Yeah, as best I can, I try to simulate what they would normally experience in nature (media, dormancy, light, temps..). Can't always do it, but I try.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Dec. 13 2005,2:16)]I have a  D. scorpiodes  but since I keep all my terrariums on a 16 hour photoperiod all year long, it hasn't produced gemmae for me. My plants will always think that it's summer, so I doubt I'll ever get gemmae from my pygmies.

Kind of a bummer, now that I think about it
smile_n_32.gif
If I were you,I would give them a decreased photoperiod after a year or two or else they will begin to die off (from what I have heard). They normally live no longer than 4 years.They usually produce gemmae for a few years, and then die off,similar to D.burmanni.

Awwww how cool Jim, i dont have any pigmy dews
smile_h_32.gif
but you can always send me some Jim..
smile_m_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
J/K..
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If I were you,I would give them a decreased photoperiod after a year or two or else they will begin to die off (from what I have heard). They normally live no longer than 4 years.They usually produce gemmae for a few years, and then die off,similar to D.burmanni.

I think I might reduce the photoperiod next winter. It's probably too late to do it this year, huh?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (*Barracuda_45* @ Dec. 13 2005,3:46)]Awwww how cool Jim, i dont have any pigmy dews  
smile_h_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif
J/K..
smile_n_32.gif
I hear ya! Gimme time to get a little settled in this box-strewn apartment and I'll see what I can come up with.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Dec. 13 2005,4:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (*Barracuda_45* @ Dec. 13 2005,3:46)]Awwww how cool Jim, i dont have any pigmy dews  
smile_h_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif
J/K..
smile_n_32.gif
I hear ya! Gimme time to get a little settled in this box-strewn apartment and I'll see what I can come up with.
smile.gif
Awwwwwwwwwww thats so cool Jim..
smile_m_32.gif
smilie4.gif
Thank You!!!!
smile_m_32.gif

I've got specimines of D. scorpioides growing in different environments and soils and all that. Right now, my ones that get full sun but still get occasional water are producing gemmae and have a nice crown by now. The ones with lower light levels with consistantly more water are just beginning to produce, and the desert ones are still not producing any- though they're still alive!

Congratulations on the gemmae Jim! Want some more? He he he!
smile_n_32.gif

Congrats, Jim! One of my pygmy's looks like it's producing them....I hope I'm as lucky as you!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Dec. 13 2005,11:04)]Congratulations on the gemmae Jim!  Want some more? He he he!
smile_n_32.gif
Ah... "Carpet of Death"!

Oddly enough, when I went to deal with the original batch of D. scorpiodes, following the massive death after flowering, once I uncovered all that live LFS - I found 3 second generation plants doing just fine. somewhere down the road one of those plants did something

Back