What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
A few weeks ago, one of my D. anglica thought it would be a great idea to send up a flower stalk. Beauteous! As I unpacked my collection this morning, I noticed that this plant also had that clenched fist look at the center. I know that look, having seen it with D. intermedia, binata, and filiformis.

Can this plant both flower / produce seeds / go dormant at the same time?

My D. Intermedia <span style='color:red'>Edit: spelling: the "specific epithet", or second part of the binomial species name is always written in lower case, D. intermedia</span> did... flowered in the fridge while hybernating... so I suppose it is possible... I wonder if seeds will be viable though...
you know, I don't seem to be raving about hundreds of spelling errors I see on this forum every day... and you are editing MY post because I put capital letter instead of lower case one! DON"T!

And now the flower buds are soon to open - yet the crown looks dormant. Why?

Because CP do not live by all the rules we stuck them with, and occasionally try to remind us of this fact. Though the guidelines apply to many CP, without fail you will get the odd plant that does whatever it feels like doing, leaving us to wonder.

Maybe its naturall really... anglica is pretty hardy from what I hear, so maybe its biologically programmed to get going in the winter if its not too cold, so in the spring the seeds would already germinate and grow... after all its warmer under the snow than above, there is no wind, and its wet... so maybe your plant found the conditions as soft winter and thought it was a good idea to flower...
Hope it'll do well though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Dec. 22 2005,9:57)]Because CP do not live by all the rules we stuck them with, and occasionally try to remind us of this fact. Though the guidelines apply to many CP, without fail you will get the odd plant that does whatever it feels like doing, leaving us to wonder.
Ah, the illiteracy card! I've got a back up plant, just in case this one exhausts itself to death. This will be just another experiment!

jimscott,

There are populations of D. anglica in the mountains here in Southern Montana.  The elevation in this area is around 9,000ft.  The growing season is only 2-3months long.  The sundews only have a short time to do what they are suppossed to do!  It's not uncommon to find the sundews going dormant and sending up flower stalks at the same time.  

Brian

Thanks, Brian. Very efficient plants!

Back