What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capillaris question

Dimka

Sundewist
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could tell me or post a pic of what capillaris <span style='color:red'>[Edit: spelling: Drosera capillaris]</span> seedling looks like?
I found 2 tiny green plantlets last night, on the spot where I had sown 5 capillaris <span style='color:red'>[Edit: spelling: Drosera capillaris]</span> seeds one month previous. Almost wet myself with excitement, but not sure if those are capillaris <span style='color:red'>[Edit: spelling: Drosera capillaris]</span>
smile.gif

Please advise, thanks.

No chance of a pic with my current camera, I could probably get a pic after X-mas.. But, I believe they are monocots meaning after the seed leaves, one leaf will form. They are so small I couldn't see the seed leaves. Mine, have a tiny stem and then one leaf that branches off, it's not long and skinny like adult plants, but instead has more of a round leaf tip, looks kinda like a intermedia <span style='color:red'>[Edit: spelling: Drosera intermedia]</span>. Lemme go browse through my pics and see if any managed to catch one good enough.

It super blurry, but you can make out the shape, this seedling is already a few weeks old tho.
dcp09326vn.jpg

They'r gonna look like just about every other Drosera seedling - a tiny green stem, with very tiny tentacles.

hmmm I took a closer look with a magnifying glass and it actually looks like sphagnum <span style='color:red'>[Edit: spelling: Sphagnum, genus names are always written with an initial capital letter.]</span>! lol yeah not what I wanted, but at least another good thing to have
smile.gif

Yes, what jimscott said. Most Drosera seedlings look pretty much alike. It isn't until they begin to mature that they take on the characteristics of their respective species or hybrid origins.

I've noticed most tend to look like rosetted-sub tropicals (D. spatulata, for example) for a while, but then like Pinguiculaman said, they begin to look like the adults. My young D. capensis looked like a small D. spatulata until just recently, since it's leaves are now growing longer into the more familiar D. capensis leaf-shape.

-Ben

Ok, now Im totally confused because I compared those 2 little plantlets with my little sphagnim <span style='color:red'>[Edit: spelling: Sphagnum, genus names are always written with an initial capital letter.]</span> ones... and they are not the same thing... so maybe it is capillaris <span style='color:red'>[Edit: spelling: Drosera capillaris]</span> after all!!!
hehehe

I will try to get a pic of mine that are 2 weeks old at this time, mine only took 2 weeks to germinate. They are soooooooo flipin tiny they had just 2 tiny leafs then few days ago got a stem leaf like in the middle that has a rounded top to it with red tenticals it looks like
smile_l_32.gif
i dieffinately gota invest in a magnifying glass..
smile_n_32.gif
smile_l_32.gif

I have a couple of photos of D. capillaris from seedling size to almost mature but I do not know how to post them on this forum. How does one get photos into a post?

You must post the picture to an internet site and click "image" above your reply box. You will then be prompted to type the full URL for the picture.

Finding a place to upload the pic is, in my opinion, the toughest part. I had to ask someone on these forums if they would kindly upload my pic to their webspace, then emailed them my pic.

I've only posted one pic so I'm no guru, but I hope this helps answer your question.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cphog @ Dec. 17 2005,11:12)]I have a couple of photos of D. capillaris from seedling size to almost mature but I do not know how to post them on this forum. How does one get photos into a post?
You can go to photobucket.com and load your pics on there for free then take and use the URL from the pic there and here click the image tag paste the URL and hit ok and it will load the pics so everyone can see um. Photobucket is the easiest place to put your pics..
smile_m_32.gif
Im still trying to get a decent close up of my seedlings. My cam just dont do macro or super close up shots.
smile_h_32.gif

smile_h_32.gif
OMG!! I just now realized you all are talking about Capillaris and not what i was thinking Capensis.. DOH!!! DOH!!!
smile_l_32.gif

smile_h_32.gif
 Tracey runs and smacks her self agains head and then hides in a corner.. DOH!!
confused.gif

See what all this x-mass shoping has done to my brain i am now brainless...
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have a couple of photos of D. capillaris from seedling size to almost mature but I do not know how to post them on this forum. How does one get photos into a post?
E-mail it to me @ hockeynut71@yahoo.com and I will host it for you on my webspace.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] My cam just dont do macro or super close up shots.
A neat little trick I learned to help with that is to simply take a hand-held magnifying glass and hold it in front of the camera lens. It will take a little practice to get positioning right, but you can get a fairly decent close up shot that way without investing big $$ in a new camera.

Cheers
Steve

I have some like 5+ month old seedlings but I'm not sure I can take any pictures of them. My sister's camera's memory card is full so I can't take anymore pics. I might be able to take some pics later if I install the drivers for the camera onto my computer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Dec. 19 2005,5:24)]I have some like 5+ month old seedlings but I'm not sure I can take any pictures of them. My sister's camera's memory card is full so I can't take anymore pics.
If she has a memory card in her cam she should be able to pull that out and still get pics on the cams storage, most cams should be able to take a certain amount of pics without a memory card, like my cam i can get 15 real good pics, 25 no so great pics and then 40 so so pics without a memory card. And mine is just a cheap little digi cam..

Thank you chloroplast and Barracuda_45. vft guy in SJ I emailed you the photos. But I am also going to try Barracuda's photobucket.com.

The dews in vft guy's post are D. capillaris of different sizes Dimka. The smaller ones at the top of the top photo are greener because they get less light than the the redder ones at the left of the photo. In the lower photo the light green dew in the middle is a renegade D. capensis I believe. Hope this is of some help Dimka. Thanks vft guy for posting them for me.

d_cap_1.jpg

This is a cropped version of the top photo above. I posted it just to give it a whirl.

It works! Thanks Barracuda for the photobucket.com tip. I can post photos now!

Ok. Thanks guys.
Got news for ya
smile.gif

IT IS CAPILLARIS <span style='color:red'>[Edit: spelling: Drosera capillaris]</span> hehehe.
It sprouted tenticles yesterday, but I was toooooo busy at work (10 hr/day, coming home after 1am) to write to you.
Thanks again.
Btw, that Scott's peat that we all hate so much. I washed it, and it seems to be better (at least there is some dew now)
smile.gif

Thank you all!!!

Back