What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peat Mix Frozen

I planted some purple pitcher, cobra lily, and round leaf sundew and put them out in a front extension where it gets pretty cold. I looked at them and the peat mix was frozen. Is this ok or bad? Can it freeze for a amount of time or does it have to stay damp and moist the whole time I strafity them?

Those are all plants that require a dormancy. Aside from the lower photoperiod, they also experience freezing temps. As long as it isn't severe or prolonged - it shouldn't kill them. But don't radically increase their temperature to deal with it. Gradually warm it a little bit.

Even as seeds? I ment to say I planted the seeds.

I don't have any experience with frozen seeds, but JBL makes a Sarracenia seedsicle as part of the stratification process. So I think you either have done no harm or actually helped. But wait for the expeienced advice

I had Darlingtonia, Drosera, and Sarracenia seed all freeze over last year, and I got seedlings from every batch. As long as your containers aren't exposed to the wind (cold air can dry the seeds out,) I wouldn't worry about it.
~Joe

So it's good for them to freeze? I don't think that they are going to thaw out anytime soon seeing as though I live in Wisconsin. Is there a point to where being frozen too long can hurt them? I can put them in the fridge where it could be about 35-40F or something other them frozen the whole winter. What would you do?

Hi JMurphy97.  I copied the method used by one of our resident experts:  The Bugweed.  This guy has been successfully growing for 43 years!  His methods work well, and this was posted in the pitcher plant forum, but works for any temperate seed requiring stratification.  Here it is and much luck to you!  If you already have these planted these, it may be too difficult to remove them and try this now.  I would just protect your pots from being outside and exposed to harsh drying winds as was already suggested.  If you have an unheated sunporch or garage area protected from the elements, that would work fine for now.  I don't think you could make a claim that 'it is good for them to freeze' but that is certainly what happens in the wild.  Keep in mind though that exposed to the harshest weather, not every seed in nature germinates due to drying, or being blown to a non-optimal place etc.  You want maximal germination, so it is best to just use a little care, not much, as it's really not that difficult.  Ok, enough from me, here it is!

The Bugweed Method
I put my seed in a vial of RO water and refrigerate it for 6 to 8 weeks. Then I put them on a 70 degree F. seed mat under lights, and wait.

What if I put snow on top and they still freeze? Where they are the wind does not hit touch them. The only thing is that they are frozen.

If you have enough snow to continually place on top, no problem. Snow is a natural insulator, will protect from wind etc, and the periodic melting will keep the seeds damp and cool--the main requirements for stratification. I hope this helps and happy germination!

Back