What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petiolaris-complex dews

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Dec. 21 2005,1:09)]There was a long thread here some time back about the laterite. Here it is. There are a few others, just type "laterite" into the search field.
Pyro,
You didn't quote the thread where you mention your own homemade laterite...
smile_m_32.gif

The last post in that thread (from Tamlin) mentions:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Often plants will go dormant when received, and it is then touch and go: for me, they have usually gone, so I am not the one to ask regarding emergency measures.

I have had this happen twice to me - both times with plants from the same grower... The 1st time I lost a small D. ordensis. I kept it humid and warm and watched it slowly deteriorate ... and die...
smile_h_32.gif

The 2nd time, I received several plants, all very healthy. Here's one of them (a D. broomensis - as I received it):
Dbroomensis102805RS.jpg

The plants had very little shipping stress but started to deteriorate. Everything I did - didn't help.... I asked the maestro (Forbes) and he said he would also do what I'd done - but the next day he sent another email recommending a possible option - let them dry out and go dormant (if that's what they want). It really didn't feel right - take a plant that's dying and remove most of the moisture while keeping it under strong lights and decent heat....
confused.gif
. Well, that's what I did and the 'rotting' that was creeping over the leaves stopped and the plants formed a bud similar to a D. rotundifolia hibernacula. Several weeks went by (maybe longer) and some of the D. broomensis leaves started to open. I proceeded to give it regular water amounts and stuck it under a humidity dome. It has continued to sprout new leaves and look 'alive'. This process has now happened with another D. broomensis and a D. derbyensis - so far with apparently good results. There's another larger D. derbyensis that hasn't shown any inclination to sprout leaves so I'm keeping it in a reduced water regime for now. Here's a current pic of it:
DderbyensisCL5dormantRS.jpg

I definitely don't feel like I'm out of the woods yet with these guys but at least it appears I'm heading in the right general direction....
smile_l_32.gif
They keep trying to teach me, hopefully I can keep learning....

Updated pic showing how fast these guys can grow. These plants are from the 1st 3 pics on page 1 of this post. I combined the plants from the 1st 2 pics in the pot on the left. The pot on the right has't been touched. Since I really don't have the room to pot these up separately, they haven't been getting fed much...
Dpetiolarisbabies012106RS.jpg

When the weather warms up, there's going to be a bunch of plants to trade...
smile_n_32.gif

Wow, you have got some really amazing plants there. I must admit that this is the first time I've seen D. derbyensis, even in picture; you really caught me off guard with that one! Keep up the good work!
smile.gif

Wow you have great skill in growing these. My plants look weak in comparision...keep it up!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JanW @ Jan. 28 2006,12:42)]Wow you have great skill in growing these. My plants look weak in comparision...keep it up!
Hi JanW,
I take that as a great complement - thank you! Especially from the man that created the only propagation method that I can get to work regularly with these plants.....!

Also realize that I haven't shared pics of all the plants that are struggling...
smile_h_32.gif
confused.gif

My largest D. ordensis seems to have developed a spreading 'rot' from where I yanked/pulled some leaves out for propagation (which failed btw). My D. broomensis are fickle, as are my D. derbyensis. In general the hairy ones have me pulling my hair out more than the non-hairy ones. Some are drop-dead gorgeous and some are dropping dead.

That's why we need more people growing these guys!! To help figure them out!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RL7836 @ Jan. 29 2006,3:54)]Especially from the man that created the only propagation method that I can get to work regularly with these plants.....!
That man is Joseph Clemens, not me! He found out that leaf pullings work.

I have two plants of the "dutch" mass propagated clone of D. ordensis bought last year (together in one pot). One does look fantastically, the other one went dormant or something shortly after I got those two. Any ideas? Please take a look at these pictures:

picture 1
picture 2

Absolutely spectacular plants! I so want a D. derbyensis!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RL7836 @ Dec. 21 2005,4:52)]Pyro,
You didn't quote the thread where you mention your own homemade laterite...
smile_m_32.gif
Mostly because that was a whim of my own and I don't swear by it. It works for me and that is all I can say so I'd rather not have everyone out and about trying it and then getting hacked at me if it does not work.
smile.gif

Back