What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my Drosophyllum seedling

MY drosophyllum <span style='color:red'>[Edit: spelling: Drosophyllum is a genus name and must always be written with an initial capital letter.]</span> is like 3 weeks old and its over an inch tall but theres like a bud on the top of it i dont know if thats were the leaves come from or what not heres a picture. I also have some pictures of my auriculata tubers sprouting and if i can get them to come out my drosera gigantea seedling( that is they are so small they might not be seen)

Drosophyllum

IMG_0350.jpg

Hi,

Your Drosophyllum looks like it needs more light. It will grow shorter stems and longer leaves in good light. The glands on the leaves will be red if there is sufficient light. Nice auriculata <span style='color:red'>[Edit: spelling: Drosera auriculata]</span> plants.

I agree about your plant needing more light.
I have never seen one with a long stem like that. The new leaves stay very close to the soil from my experience.

Here's a picture of the one I germinated last year, a few weeks after sprouting.
Drosophyllum1.jpg

wow what kind of light do you have it in i have it directly under a desktop light but i guess its not getting enough light i really should move it to my kitchen window sill as theres strong south facing sun.

They do can certainly survive whilst quickly producing stems; mine do. I think that, as long as the glands are reddish, you'll be OK. If not, your plants will eventually wither.

I germinated it in a south facing windowsill.
It spends it's winters there. The other time I grow it outside in direct sunlight all day.

yes that is what i plan on doing with it because it will be in my back yard so it needs to be adjusted to the back window anyway and its gets really sunny around noon. I will plan on moving it after christmas to its new spot.

Okay, you guys are scaring me! Mine / Elgecko's has been on southern-facing window sills since its arrival. The leaves are totally green and dewy, continuing to put out new leaves every week. I dosn't have artificial lighting, so the window sill is all I have. It is on its 7th or 8th leaf. Is it set up for failure?

If the leaves are dewy, it's probably alright. The leaves will never turn red, at least not in normal light. The dew- producing glands should be reddish if you look carefully at them. This effect is usually most noticeable on new leaves that are still unfurling. The glands on mine are only barely reddish in the mid-winter. I think my plants get just about enough light. Anybody who's ever been to Southern Spain, Morocco, or Portugal will know that the sun there is fierce for most of the year. This species certainly appreciates as much sunlight as it can get

Back