What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae sending up a flower stalk

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Last summer I rescued a a VFT/Cobra Lily/D. adelae from a Lowes cube. The VFT & Cobra Lily are currently dormant and the D. adelae, sitting in the bathroom window, is sending up a stalk.

Soon after I got this plant, it was infested with aphids and I drowned them. The plant recovered and during the fall, it feasted on a multitude of fruitflies. Then its leaf development seemed to take off, but no new plantlets. On the weekend I saw a different sort of leaf emerging, with what appeared to be a cluster buds. A magnifying glass confirmed what I saw.

Is this the time of year for flowering? Was this a function of gorging itself on fruitflies? Any other theories?

Well, it is summer in australia, not that the observation should mean anything to a plant probably TC in the USA... My Lowes cube adelae are still sending plantlets out. I would guess its the reaction to healthy feeding and good conditions, but its just a guess. Congrats on the flower, I started with one and currently have about 12 of the buggers ranging from new sprout to almost 6" diameter, and no sign of a blossom yet! Maybe I should go get some powdered bloodworms or something... (grumble) Or maybe stop transplanting the plantlets to other pots. Maybe if I let one get crowded, it'll bloom, like my utrics did...

You know... I think I'm seeing a stalk too... i've never had one, but I think thats what it is... since its like a few layers below the leafs that are developing and kind on on the side...

I'm under the assumption that cultivated tropical/subtropical sundews flower whenever they are ready, regardless of their natural patterns in the wild.  It could have been all the nutrients from the fruit flies.  I have some  D. spatulata seedlings that I feed blood worms, and they began to flower even though they were still fairly small.  I've noticed increased flowering with other sundews that either caught a lot of prey, or were fed.  There are a lot of scientific papers out there that show the nutrients derived from insects are used for flowering and setting seed.

Brian

Back