What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water and Dew?

Dimka

Sundewist
OK guys I got a question, because I made a very weird observation today.
I know distilled water is the best to use, but I couldnt get it so I used all sorts of waters untill I came to fluoridated baby water and it literally worked wonders... my droserae were never dewier.
Now today I finally found distilled water, so I decided hey why not use it?
I did... and the plants looks like they are in a desert or something... they just dried up before my eyes! no dew and they look dry... is it just a shock or something. I know it happens with animals and humans (humans go into shock when they lived in trash all their lives and come to a clean environment).
So is it just a shock of purity or should I go back to fluoridated... its a bit costly, but works like magic!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So is it just a shock of purity or should I go back to fluoridated... its a bit costly, but works like magic!

Wish you had pictures to show us the difference, it would be very interesting to see. As for answers, I have none, except be very wary of using water with high mineral contents over long periods of time.

-Homer

I'd stick with the cheaper (distilled) for a while. If after a while they perk up and look nice again, then a bit of patience will have saved you some cash. And if distilled continues to suck, for some reason, then further experiments are in order!

Did someone say 'experiment'? Ever since I left the lab job, with all the free deionized water I wanted, I have taken to collecting rain and snow. Western New York gets a lot of snow!

LOL jim. I lived in upstate new york... 7 foot snowbanks were a must lol... kinda fun fumping off a roof into them
smile.gif

not good for driving though
smile_n_32.gif

Its been 2 days now since I switched to distilled... and yeah they look better already
smile.gif
better color and dewier! can't wait to see the results in a couple weeks.
Thanks for all the help guys
biggrin.gif

I know that phrase 'Upstate NY'! That is what folks from NYC/LI call the rest of the State! I'm originally from Bronx & Huntington. How about you?

How much is distilled water in The City?

I lived few hours from Canadian border up at the northern region of the state. like between albany and canada.
I live in brroklyn now, water is 99 cents.
Originally I'm from... oh boy lol eastern europe, thus my ability to speak more than one language
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So is it just a shock of purity or should I go back to fluoridated... its a bit costly, but works like magic!
Hi Dimka,
As you've probably inferred from the other responses, this is an unusual impact from distilled water....

You may want to return to the fluoridated water to see if the plants actually do perk back up (and probably back again to distilled water to confirm causation).

Hey Dimka, what other language do you speak?

I think it's always interesting to know what other languages people know, maybe some of the less-common ones.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dimka @ Jan. 06 2006,5:25)]I lived few hours from Canadian border up at the northern region of the state. like between albany and canada.
I live in brroklyn now, water is 99 cents.
Originally I'm from... oh boy lol eastern europe, thus my ability to speak more than one language
smile.gif
Hmmm... anywheres near Schroon Lake or Glens Falls? I lived in Albany for a year and went to college at Plattsburgh State.

My grandparents are from Poland & Russia, speaking of Eastern Europe.

Have ya seen the one tree that grows in Brooklyn?
smile_m_32.gif

Back