What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gemmae Harvesting

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Last year, after fumbling through extricating the gemmae, I came up with an approach that is easier. Nothing original, mind you, but it was far smoother this time around.

First off, I bought a 100 pack of those small bags at a crafts place. I cut out several 1" pieces of paper towels and pre-labeled the bags. I turned the pots on the side, right over a paper towel square and coaxed the gemmae out of a crown with a pen tip (no toothpick available). I then took another square and wet it and then placed it atop of the other. Lastly, I placed in the bag and sealed it.

Very methodical. I found that one of the biggest helps to harvesting gemmae is LIGHT. If you have substandard light, it's easy to lose track of them. In good light I could see any that flew off where they shouldn't have.

I put a piece of coffee filter over the end of a straw from a juice pack and suck, and suck and suck and suck and suck.........

I never harvested gemmae, but my method will be to scream at the plants and the gemmae will jump out of the crown.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I never harvested gemmae, but my method will be to scream at the plants and the gemmae will jump out of the crown.

Hm, makes me think Jack and Jill... Only Jack is a D. scorpiodes... "But scorpie fell down and broke his crown..." Maybe old ryhmes will be even more sucessful than shouting!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Jan. 05 2006,11:44)]I put a piece of coffee filter over the end of a straw from a juice pack and suck, and suck and suck and suck and suck.........
I just had a mental image of a character that Bugs Bunny called, "Nature Boy", who was trying to do bodily harm to Bugs with a blow gun and dart. But the dart went backwards and ended up in Nature Boy's throat.
smile_m_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Jan. 05 2006,11:44)]I put a piece of coffee filter over the end of a straw from a juice pack and suck, and suck and suck and suck and suck.........
smile_n_32.gif
smile.gif
LOL!!! I cant wait to the day where i can collect gemmae.. For now im just learning all the diffrent methods you all are using...
smile_m_32.gif
smile.gif

Back