What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old D. slackii

There aren't enough pics of good OLD drosera around. Here's my D. slackii which is 2.5 years old. How high will it go?

D_slackii_4.sized.jpg

Capslock

VERY nice!!! Learned they didn't like outside conditions over here. The CP graveyard has another one!

Am I alone when I say that sundews look a tad bit ugly when they start growing that stem?

Great plant though, Capslock. D. slackii is one of the sundews I've never grown.

smile_k_ani_32.gif
Wholy Cow!!! Capslock, that is absolutely stunning.. Very beautiful and BIG dew... Very cool pic...

Awesome! Never seen that before! My oldest Drosera is a D. ascendens, it's considerably taller than the ones normally posted. I'll see if I can get a good shot of it some time. Very good topic.

Edit- I can seeeeeee you in the reflection. *creepy music*
smile_n_32.gif

Capslock,

I really love rosetted sundews that form tall stems.  Yours is very nice.  Here is a photo I found on the web taken at Cali. carnivores.  It has to be the coolest D. slackii I've seen: D. slackii

Here is a D. venusta that I got as a leaf 7-23-03. Max, you might recognize this one hehe.

Cheers
Steve

venusta11006.JPG

Nice Steve! Still sparkly as ever!
I might have to get a leaf cutting back, as I've learned that D. venusta doesn't particularly like living ouside in SF.

Capslock

No problem.. remind me when I come up to get those Nep cuttings ok?

It doesnt like living outside here much either. I gave up on that experiment quickly as I saw my plant decline steadily after the move. Like D. adelae, indoors under the lights seems to be what it likes best.

Cheers
Steve

Speaking of which, when are you coming up??? This weekend is out as I'm going boarding in Tahoe. But come up soon! Your cuttings are healthy as can be and well on their way to rooting.

Capslock

Steve,

That is a great looking D. venusta you have. I like the look of the dead foliage. It makes the plant look natural.

Brian

Actually Brian, now that you mention it, the deal foliage really does give the plant a very natural look. You may have changed my mind for the better!

By the way Brian, how are your super-sweet looking Cephs doing?

I'm giving up on D. slackii...I can't keep it alive. I'm giving up on alot of stuff lately, mostly sundews and lowland Nepenthes.

Hmmm. How are you growing it? I'm not doing anything special. 55 degrees at night, 75-80 daytime. A few inches under cheap four-foot fluorescent tubes. I think it's peat and sand; it's in the same pot and media as when I bought it from CC.

It grows great, but in 2.5 years it has not flowered, unlike just about every other dew I have, and it's VERY difficult to get leaf cuttings to strike.

Capslock

What beautiful plants! My slackii was a beautiful one too. And then it just went splat for no apparent reason. *sigh* I reaaally miss that plant. It was one of my favorites. But always does a heart good to see photos of them.
smile.gif
I wonder why they aren't more common.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Jan. 11 2006,4:44)]I'm giving up on D. slackii...I can't keep it alive. I'm giving up on alot of stuff lately, mostly sundews and lowland Nepenthes.
I gota agree with LLeopardGGecko, dont give up..
smile_m_32.gif

Beautiful dews everyone!!!
smilie4.gif

In Japan, D. slackii does not thrive well because of the heat in summer.
smile_h_32.gif

Back