What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

water budding

glider14

Always a newbie
hey yall, well i got two healthy leaves from my capensis and adaele . if i wanted to water bud them all i do is put them in distilled water? any other info??? How long will it take to bud normally?

Yea that's it. Keep away from direct sunlight. A windowsill is a good place. It usually takes 3-4 weeks, sometimes longer. Change the water weekly or when you see algae. I think right now is not a good time to try to propagate, but that's just my opinion. In past experiences, I always use clean leafs with no bugs on them, everytime it has bugs on it, it lowers the chances of it budding.

ok thanks i have another question...when it does bud...then what do i do??

About 3-4 weeks. When it starts budding, you can take it out right away or leave it in for a week or so and just place it on whatever mix you use.

and it will root by itself?

Another modification to this approach would be to put the leaves in a container that already has soil media and just overfill it. In time the leaves bud. Instead of removing it from a water matrix and moving it one that is solid, just let it evaporate and adjust slowly. I have had problems when transferring buds/plantlets/seedlings to a different matrix. Gradual is a safer approach.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Jan. 12 2006,4:51)]Another modification to this approach would be to put the leaves in a container that already has soil media and just overfill it. In time the leaves bud. Instead of removing it from a water matrix and moving it one that is solid, just let it evaporate and adjust slowly. I have had problems when transferring buds/plantlets/seedlings to a different matrix. Gradual is a safer approach.
I thought jimscott would chime in. Water is his friend.
smile_n_32.gif

Floating leaves and other obove-ground plant parts (flower buds and stalks) in water to form buds and plantlets (complete with roots) has been a favorite of mine for about 30 years now.

wow so it seems very effective then
smile.gif

I've had great success floating D. binata dichotoma and adelae in distilled water. At first they floated but with time all my leave sank to the bottom. Mine always took about 5-7 weeks before I ever saw any budding. Some I'd leave in the water until they formed roots. Goodluck!

Chris

So placing the cuttings under your shoplights would not be a good idea? You want to put them where there's just a little light?

I've placed most of mine on a windowsill but some had to go into the terrarium (under lights) due to a lack of space. I've had success both ways.

Chris

No. But with time mine did and it didn't affect them. Float the leaves when you first place them on the water. When you go to replace the water some may sink. Just leave them. Hope this helps.

Chris

Back