What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are plastic bags essential for sowing?

I have some D. spatulata 'Hong Kong' seeds from jimscott that I haven't sowed yet. I decided to sow 'em sometime this week since I have some extra room in my terrarium. Earlier, I had sowed some D. capensis 'Alba' in a pot in my terrarium, and some sprouted in a day, others in a few weeks. Though, I had no plastic bag on them. I know D. capensis and D. spatulata can be a bit of a weed and sprout anywhere, but is a plastic bag around the pot necessary? I mean, if the adult plant thrives there, the seeds should be able to sprout there too. So, should I just sprinkle the seeds onto some soil?

-Ben

If you're really worried, stretch some plastic wrap over the top. Or use one of those plastic bags they dispense for bundling produce at the grocery store. But as prodigious as D. spathulata is, you shouldn't be shy of seedlings in the least. I've never done a batch of D. spathulata, but my D. capensis seed never seemed to care about bagging or not - the only difference I noticed is that the seeds came up faster when they were covered and heated. I got just as many seedlings in the covered/warmed tray as the one that was only under lights.
~Joe

PS - One thing I did notice was that covering the pots certainly did assist in the growth of fungus! If you decide to cover, you might think about including a gap or two for ventilation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]my D. capensis seed never seemed to care about bagging or not - the only difference I noticed is that the seeds came up faster when they were covered and heated.

Agreed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you decide to cover, you might think about including a gap or two for ventilation.

Agreed; you can also punch some air holes in the cover.

Back