What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Rotundifolia Melted

The D. Rotundifolia I had was thriving and seemed to be "waking up". All of a sudden I noticed that the whole ball turned brownish/black.

They're grown in dried sphagnum and left on a tray of water. Did really well for over 3 months. I wonder if it's the tropical heat since I've read it's a temperate plant. Any advice?

Pauline.
smile_h_32.gif

Maybe it went dormant?

Hi Dimka, I haven't thought about that. The plant looks as dead as can be
confused.gif

Is there a possibility that the plant go dormant while in tropical cultivation?

Pauline.

it's possuble, I had one do just that and it came back out of dormancy when it was good and ready, but I killed it accidentally by forgetting to water it in the summer... it was doing okay though!!!
Plants that need dormancy do funny things when you don't give it to them I have found

Their dying leaves me in stitches, Mabudon. D. rotundifolia has to have a dormancy, NO EXCEPTIONS!

So that's the problem.....dormancy. I'll remember that in the future. It's probably easier to stick with tropical variety cos of the weather here.

Thanks a lot guys!
Pauline.

Sorry for the confusion, Bugweed, I kinda meant that, if you don't give them what they need, you get what you get.....

I was referring to something someone else said when I asked almost the same question (and I can't recall who but it was one of the local authroities) stating that if you don't alter the photoperiod OR temps, they will go dormant on their own time... this could maybe have something to do with D. rotundifolia "evergrow" or something, but I am positive that I was told that they will TAKE dormancy as best they can if you don't GIVE it to them....

I certainly didn't want to re-open the dormancy can-o-worms from a few years back, and thanks for keeping me honest ;)

)PS I have one "plant demise" story that actually IS hilarious but it is hard to tell without gestures and emphasis)

Hey Pauline,

Since rotudifolia aren't all that big, you can always toss 'em in the fridge for three months. You just have to check them periodically to make sure there's not fungus.

Isn't there a var. from hawaii that doesn't have a dormancy period? That might be an option for people in more tropical environments.

If they have just gone into dormancy there should be a small bundle of green leaves in the centre where the grow point once was. My rotundifolia are very visible when they are dormant.

The whole ball looks black with no tuft of visible green. I have to admit defeat due to lack of knowledge, I've "killed" the plant
smile_h_32.gif

I will try to select those tropical variety next time since there's no way I can mimic the winter over here. Otherwise I'll know roughly when to put them in the fridge for dormancy. It's all about trial and error now.

I've just potted up some gemmae from john v.d. w and after reading through they're pygmies. In my weather does this mean I'll not get any gemmae from the plants? Or will putting them into the fridge do the trick?

Thanks, Pauline.

Don't be too hasty in throwing the pot out, you never know one or two may return from the roots.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Don't be too hasty in throwing the pot out, you never know one or two may return from the roots.

Good point. On several occasions, drosera that I thought were dead resurrected from the roots after several months. I would keep the pot if space permits.

Ive got some D. rotundifolia that went dorment on there own and are now placed in the fridge, you can take leaf cuttings from it and place them in the pottin mix moisted at all times and they will grow new babies mine have. I have taken leaf cuttings even when the leafs are somewhat losing color as they were going dorment and placed them in the mix and i now have babies growing from them.
smile.gif

"Quote, indymental
If they have just gone into dormancy there should be a small bundle of green leaves in the centre where the grow point once was. My rotundifolia are very visible when they are dormant."

Correct thats how mine are when they go dorment they have what looks like lots unopend/uncureld leafs in the center kinda darkish in color. I wouldnt give up on the plant nither.
smilie4.gif

Back