What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

byblis, or drosophyllum

I sowed a couple of drosophyllum seeds four months ago. After the death of the adult byblis linifolia and my three filifolia i had many other seedlings pop out. But now i have a strange seedling that looks like drosophyllum... how can i distinguish the both? And how can i find out if my seedlings are linifolia or filifolia?

What a mistake...

Once they are grown on a bit it is easier to tell. Drosophyllum grow in a rosette fashion and the stem only forms as the old leaves die off.

http://www.cpuk.org/~vicbrown/images/Drosophyllum/Dros2.jpg

Byblis form a stem as they grow like this,

http://www.fischermans-antik.de/Liste.d....lia.jpg

I can't find any seedling pics of filifolia to compare to Drosophyllum but this is one of a Drosophyllum as a seedling.

http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/4744/drosophyllum33ru.jpg

Byblis will grow a bit of the stem after every second leaf, whereas drosophyllum don't

I don't know if that helps you at all.

Here's a Byblis pic:

AF001801.jpg

An here is a Drosphyllum seedling:

AF002601.jpg

If subjected to strong enough light, the glands onDrosophyllum seedlings should turn red. This will not happen to a B filifolia seedling however much light it receives. Although the photo is poor, the seedling on the left at the front of the picture is B filifolia (the one on the right is B rorida). I do have some unphotographed seedlings that are growing in slightly better conditions that are more compact and stickier, but otherwise look very similar.

dec21st100-copy.jpg

Oh NO, i have both b. filifolia, liniflora and drosophyllum.... Can they live together in the same pot as adults? Maybe the byblis will live for 4 months and then i can supply more dry conditions for drosophyllum ? Or should i keep the byblis alive just long enough to get seeds...
confused.gif

Sometimes if the plants are not too well advanced you can repot them at such a young age. The roots won't have progressed too far into the peat mix yet so you can take the plant and a big chunk of the surrounding peat mix so the tiny roots are not disturbed then plant the whole thing as a plug. It's risky but it can be done.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh NO, i have both b. filifolia, liniflora and drosophyllum.... Can they live together in the same pot as adults? Maybe the byblis will live for 4 months and then i can supply more dry conditions for drosophyllum ? Or should i keep the byblis alive just long enough to get seeds...

Byblis and drosophyllum probably won't be able to coexist in the same pot--the former require much wetter soil than the latter. I would attempt transplanting the byblis, simply because I've found their seed easier to obtain and germinate so they're not as "precious" to me as a drosophyllum seedling!
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Byblis seedlings are very easy to transplant successfully. Simply scoop the seedling up with a lot of the surrounding soil, and disturb the Drosophyllum as little as possible. You should have no problems whatsoever.

Back