What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera aliciae

Hiya..i got a aliciae, it have a flower stalk very hight, but the flowers are closed and dry out.. they are black look like dead, why always my droseras flowers always come dead or they grow up and die!!!!, im stressed i just want my plats are fine, if i feed them flakes or pelets in small cuantities will they bloom?.

Feeding them food will not necessarily make them bloom. They need good light, warm temperatures, and enough water. Sometimes, plants bloom because they are on the verge of death, and they try to pass on their genes before they die. Maybe the flowers open and close before you see them, since flowers often open for only a few hours at a time, and then close up.

What are your conditions?

-Ben

always 98% humidyty and 65 farenheit, today i open the terrarium (half) humydity low to 45% y close it (half or the half), now is 74% humidyty, i tink is good leave it at this way, the ping and the sar are like they wuz drieing, i mean they look alitle dead,im going to put them all water, should i put the fog maker?, some drosera leaves are going down like they die, but they still green, i hope this is normal, is the first time i recibe such smal creatures, i just hope can take care of them, any help is good apreciated.

What is your location ImWindPlant? The sarracenia should really be just starting to wake from dormancy now. Have your sarracenia had a dormancy?They are not really plants you would recommend as terrarium plants and would be better when the growing season starts outside in the sun or greenhouse, or even just in a sunny window.

The plants will take a little shock from being moved out of high humidity. This is because they have to adjust to 'breathing' the drier air. But all of the plants you have mentioned will do better outside of the terrarium. Over time, keeping them in the terrarium will cause stress and disease. It would be better to move them into low-humidity conditions now and risk losing a few leaves than to let entire plants die from humidity and stress. Nepenthes, Cephalotus, and Heliamphora are terrarium plants, but not many other CPs. Some species of Utricularia, like U. longifolia and U. calycifida, like high humidity, and a few species of Drosera do too - D. adelae, D. prolifera, and D. schizandra. But most of the time CPs like Pings, Drosera and Sarrs are best kept outside the terrarium. Light and water is all they need; they grow in low humidity in the wild and do fine.
Best luck,
~Joe

OK...Out is 42f nigth and 55f day, humidity from 25% to 30%, should i take out....Sarracenia and pings (they are almost half inch 0.5")?, and leave ceps, neps, and droseras, they are aliciae, cape, madagascarensis, adelae and sphatulata or natalensis, in terrarium, i want to leave VFT in terrarium, they are growing great, but sar look sad, us tell me i will follow the instructions, exactly, i must say the temperature here cahnge a lot!. well see ya.

Is that your temperature indoors, or outdoors? If that's what it's like inside, then you should probably keep things in the terrarium. 50F-75F is a good range for most CPs, with humidity between 30% and 80%. Because you have Neps and Cephalotus in there, I think a good humidity range to aim for in your tank would be 50%-80%. My Cephalotus and highland Neps live in a tank that goes from 30%-65% and they are pretty happy. Do open the lid a little to let some fresh air in. If the humidity in your tank is really high (like, 85%-100%) then you run the risk of developing fungus in the soil and on your Drosera and Pings. Keeping the terrarium lid a little open helps to lower humidity and move the air, which will prevent pests like fungus.
~Joe

The temeprature i take it from my green house, practycaly is a room made w concrete block and the roof is mada of polycarbonate so its a shinni withe and a lot of light, i put over al the roof some wood to hold plastic, so i try to make an air capsule btw the plastic and polycarbonate, no cold air, but all is cold, hehe, ok so i keep them in terrarium this time, but tell me, wen take them out?, lol i forgot the ?, hehe.

Back