What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dielsiana

dielsiana1.jpg

dielsiana2.jpg

The plant has plastic over top its container with a hole cut in it for for flower stalk...will be interesting to see the flowers and maybe get some seeds if its self-pollinating....
smile_l_32.gif

Hi,

Yes, Drosera dielsiana is self-pollinating.

If i was you, i would remove the plastic cover. There is no need to have such a hihg humidity for most Drosera. IMHO this only leads to weak plants, that will die much faster once they get the smallest problems.

The flower of your plant will look like this:

dielsiana_DROS41_004.jpg

Drosera dielsiana - flower

I think you get better seed set if you tease the flower abit, I'll be able to say for sure in a couple weeks. Mine is just about done flowering, and I teased the second and fourth flower, but haven't been around while any of the others have been open. Those 2 appear to be swelling alittle more then the others so far.

i have a question what does teasing a flower exatly do to get a better seed set and how is it done?

Take a small paint brush, toothpick, any other small object you can get in the flower, and move some pollen from the stamen (anthers) to the pistil (stigma).
Each seed needs it's own pollen grain to get on the stigma to fertalize (according to my BIO teacher).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes, Drosera dielsiana is self-pollinating.

Cool! I have two D. dielsiana that are almost ready to flower as well. More seed for the seedbank.

-Homer

Gawd_oOo: ohhh i though only 1 grain was needed for the whole set
biggrin.gif
shows how much i know about seeds

Back