What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum seed sprouted

One of my 5 seeds that Jeremiah gave in the seed giveaway finally sprouted
smile.gif
. I have a couple of questions:
1. How long do I leave it in the container?
2. Can I transfer it to my double pot already or do I have to put it in a small pot and then uproot it and put it in the double pot?
3. How often should I water the outer pot
4. How much water is too much or too little?
5. Since Drosophyllums don't like to be overwatered or too dry, what about rain?
That's all the questions I can think of at the moment.
Thanks Jeremiah
smile.gif

1 once its leafs grow longer than 2cm, you'll find it impossible to transplant

2 just get two large spoons and dig it up, make sure that you get at least 1 inch deep to not damage the baby roots.

3 keep the outer damp,( i really suggest a big glaze/unglaze method african pot, i grow a couple of drosophyllum seedlings in thos pots and they LOVE it)
btw, incase you arn't familiar to those pots
they have a unglazed botom and the rest is glazed so the botom acts like a wick.

4 seedling will NEED very wet conditions for the first weeks
once it grows a bit it needs to be dryer
basicly if you can squeeze no water out of a pinch of soil, and it will not wet a paper towel instantly and it takes 20-30 seconds to see wet conditions on the towel than you are in the safe zone.

5 NO RAIN acid rain, smog, dust, dont take chances.

bwt greg allan and indymental are the experts on these plants, they have been very helpfull in the past. there is a gold mine in other questions asked before (many by me
smile_o_32.gif
biggrin.gif
)

When I was transferring the seedling to the pot, some sand fall on top of it and it got lost
smile_h_32.gif
. I took off the top layer of soil, and I still couldn't find it. Either I hope it still grows or the other seeds sprout. Just my luck :p

That really stinks...
biggrin.gif
thats life
Don't worry i have allways had a 90% germination and i think you will too, i think you would have lost him to damp off anyway, i always do
smile_h_32.gif

Yea there's still hope, next time I will not gather as much media as before
smile_n_32.gif

How did you germinate them? if you are germinating them on a saucer of wet vermiculite, then they are best moved to their permanent pots as soon as possible. Damp off disease is a big problem with Drosophyllum, so until they are well established you are wise to provide them with as much fresh air as possible to try to avoid it. If you have managed to get one seed to sprout, then there is a very good chance there will be others, just be patient.
smile.gif

I wasn't going to stress over it unless my seed didn't come up, but now that this thread is moving I might as well ask... I sowed 18 Drosophyllum seed directly into a Slack pot - I bought three pots, but I didn't realize how gargantuan they were until I was home from the store. In any case, there's a little more than two inches between each seed. I'm wondering if I did things OK. The outer pot is plastic, with peat and perlite for most of the soil volume, just peat in a layer on the top, and LFS plugging up the drainholes. The inner pot is unglazed ceramic, of course, with a large amount of LFS in and around both sides of the drainhole. The clay pot is filled with a mix of mostly sand and perlite, with some peat and ceramic chips (vermiculite replacement) thrown in. There is a shallow layer of peat and sand (mostly sand) on top to accomodate the seed. I soaked the seed overnight in water - didn't feel like bothering with gibberilic acid - and then I made a shallow cut on the tips of half the seeds. The other half were left unscarified, and they were all pressed into shallow indentations in the sand/peat and left uncovered. I have them under my grow lights indoors for germination, in enough water to touch the bottom of the inner pot. I plan to move the pot out to my porch in the spring. Does this sound right to everyone? I followed the instructions I found online, but I'm unsure because I followed three different sets of instructions. :)
~Joe

It was a small container of damp vermiculite. I hope the seed still grows either way and in unrelated news. My N.x edinensis is so heavy that it's tipping over, so I have to prop it up with other pots :p

Seedjar, two inches between seeds is not a lot of space. Drosophyllum can get quite large, so if you get several germinate you may be best to try to move some of them into their own seperate pots. This will have to be done while the plants are still very small or they will curl up and die. I have never tried to grow more than one in each pot, because it was said that they produced a hormone that inhibited each others growth. I have now heard that this is a fallacy though and you can grow more than one in a pot quite successfully, but I would think they would need a bit more than two inches between them to be comfortable.

piranhaPlant, if you are gerinating them on vermiculite, you should make sure the vermiculite is very wet. as soon as you see a shoot from the seed then move it the same day into its final pot. You shouldn't need to worry about settling it in, it will find its own way if you move it quick enough and just place it on the surface of the wet media. Once it has rooted into the pot and is settled and growing well, the media should be kept drier.

Well, I think one pot should be fine, for me at least. The spacing is maybe closer to three inches... about a thumb's length, maybe a little more. If they start coming up too close together then I'll pull some, but my pot is quite large - like a foot across, maybe more. The only other pot I have is the same size, and I just don't think I need two jumbo pots of Drosophyllum. I don't even have the sand to mix a new pot up, or space to light it. When I bought my seed I wasn't expecting such a high germination rate, and I certainly didn't think I'd even get near a 50% survival rate. I just wanted four or five plants in one big pot.
Thanks for the tips,
~Joe

Yeah, one of mine germinated. Now to not kill it...

I had two, then three germinate. I put the first 2 in individual 8" terracotta pots using Jeremiah's soil mix. My wife laughed at them
smile_h_32.gif
because they look so puny in the huge pots! My son broke both the larger 12" pots i got for the Slack method in a tricycle accident
smile_k_ani_32.gif
! After reading this thread, I will add the new sprout to one of the pots that already has a sprout. I will let you know how the pair does.

Back