What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new to sundews

im getting some sundews pretty soon and ive grown them before but not as i will like to grow them now. ive tossed them out before with my nepenthes and completly ignored them. same with pings. so any general advise?

Keep them close to the lights and watered, and ignore them. If you can't ignore a plant without it dying, it probably isn't a good plant to keep anyways. Many sundews seem to like drier conditions than other CPs, and they don't mind a breeze either. Trays are good, but you probably already know that. Be prepared to chop flowers or harvest seed regularly if you don't want total chaos. If you get D. capensis, just grow it outside; they take up so much space (and invade so readily) that they're hardly worth growing indoors. They're happier outside, anyways. Get D. prolifera - it does great in Nep conditions, and is super easy to propagate.
Enjoy your plants,
~Joe

well the ones that i tossed outside, the are ok. well some people already know that i grow neps outdoors so any sundew that does well outdoors let me know!
smile.gif

i have a terrarium set aside for thoes that need higher humidity. let me know which ones do well.

i saw some pics and i saw some sundews that are water logged? is this ok?

Most of my 'dews are waterlogged, and don't mind it at all.

And easy ones are D. spatulata, capensis, adelae, intermedia, binata, filiformis, aliciae, rotundifolia,.....

about the adelae,
does this one prefer higher humidity? will this one do as a windowsill plant?

i think adelae can handle low humidity and will do well in a windowsill.

D. adelae doesn't really need higher humidity, but I've heard that it appreciates it to some extent. A cooler windowsill would be ideal for this plant, since it seems to dislike higher temperatures, at least for me anyways.

Where did you get your D. adelae from?
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Outdoors in your area one of the best bets is anything from the binata complex. They grow in just about any media, take extemes in temp, don't mind occasional droughts and come in a variety of sizes. I particularly like the multifida "extrema" and dichotoma "small red" but the others are all nice too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Feb. 08 2006,9:25)]Outdoors in your area one of the best bets is anything from the binata complex. They grow in just about any media, take extemes in temp, don't mind occasional droughts and come in a variety of sizes. I particularly like the multifida "extrema" and dichotoma "small red" but the others are all nice too.
My D. binatas, especially multifida extrema, have proven to be some of my toughest and most vigorous CPs. As you said, they can handle extremes in temperature with no problem and even tolerate me forgetting to water them for a few days. They're great plants
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 08 2006,8:05)]D. adelae doesn't really need higher humidity, but I've heard that it appreciates it to some extent. A cooler windowsill would be ideal for this plant, since it seems to dislike higher temperatures, at least for me anyways.

Where did you get your D. adelae from?
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
funny that you ask!
smile.gif
smile_m_32.gif
smile_l_32.gif
smile_o_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smilie4.gif

I have a Adelae in a small pot(indoors) and it rotted all the way after sitting in some distilled water. So I took it out of the water and gave it more light. Is there anything else I can do to save my plant?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (recacho638 @ Mar. 04 2006,2:44)]I have a Adelae in a small pot(indoors) and it rotted all the way after sitting in some distilled water. So I took it out of the water and gave it more light. Is there anything else I can do to save my plant?
I water most of my sundews by taking a bulb syringe, filling it with water, and watering the top of the soil until it looks damp again. If I put my D.adelae in a tray of water, it usually rots. It takes about 30 minutes a day to water my plants, though, so if you grow alot of cps, then I would try the tray method.
dewy

Maybe the particular plants you have are weak, but they do well by having their pot in a plastic container of water, exposed to the air, by a SE window sill. Some people will take their rotted plant and cut the root into several pieces. Then they place in the soil media and plantlets develop.

dewy / jimscott

Thanks for the advice. Just to be clear, the tray method means water from the top and let the pot sit in a plastic container? I just want to be sure.

Open tray just refers to the pot/plant sitting in another container, with water, and exposed or open to the air. It doesn't refer to how one waters the plant. Here is one example:

th_101_0120.jpg

i got new sundew and i changed the medium! 50/50 sand and peat moss. cant wait till i get a carpet of moss!

i got like 5 diff sundews and a VFT
76621743O591396207.jpg

Back