What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Many New species named "overnight"

• Thread starter ZAK
  • Start date
theres a couple I haven't heard of amongst those, but most are the usual plants . I haven't heard of D. formosa, Sarracenia formosa I have but not a drosera. It is a shame the seller only shows a picture of vfts for that one!!! not a lot of help. I haven't heard of D. wateri either.

Yeah I emailed the seller about D. affinis seed. The only thing I could figure on the D. wateri is perhaps it's [/I]D. intermedia
He has VFT pics on almost all the Drosera auctions. That's really bad. It's proly all Cape or spat seed
confused.gif

Hmmm. Do we know anyone on this forum living in Mountain Home, Idaho?
Perhaps D. wateri is a mispelling of D. 'Watari'?

Here is what the ICPS Database has to say
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] N: $[Drosera ' Watari ' {Kusakabe}]
P: Carniv.Pl.Newslett.8:54 (1979)
S: =[[[Drosera linearis {Goldie}] * [Drosera rotundifolia {L.}]] * [Drosera spatulata {Labill.}]]
C: synonym of [Drosera nagamotoi {Cheek}]
HC: name not established (no description, violating Art.24.1., ICNCP)
B: J.Nagamoto, 9. 6. 1974

Hi,

Drosera lovellae, formosa and nagatomo are forms of Drosera spatulata. Drosera "curvispata" ist most likely misspelled and should read Drosera curviscapa. The rest are all valid species.

Christian

I had to do a search on some of the names, and seem to be alot more aware of complex crosses now. I do think however, that as rare in cultivation, as some of these are it's a little hard to believe without decent pic's

betcha all of these seeds are dreaded "spats"

OK well I've been in contact with this grower, and it seems to be legit. I'm getting some seed from him, and will let you know how it grows
smile_n_32.gif
Seems to be a nice guy with appropriate knowledge, and resources.

I think the identities of the two hybrid sundews mentioned here should be clarified:

D. x nagamotoi is a hybrid between D. anglica and D. spatulata. Plants in cultivation are sterile except for the fertile plants produced by Ivan Snyder by treating seedlings of the hybrid with colchicine . See http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/samples/Cult291Colch.htm The plant was named after Jiro Nagamoto.

D. x "watari" is Jiro Nagamoto's name for a hybrid he made between D. anglica (linearis x rotundifolia) and D. tokaiensis (rotundifolia x spatulata; previously know as spatulata "Kansai"). I'm not sure how Jan Schlauer justifies ignoring the validly-named D. anglica and D. tokaiensis in the above database entry. I'm sure his rationalization is very interesting.

I saw those listing on eBay and have had a little email exchange with the seller. He seems to be an honest guy. I actually bought seed from him last year. I bought D. kateuriensis (sp?) from him but it was spatulata. When I informed him of this (last week), he was quite apologetic and offered me my money back from the year-ago sale. He also told me he was trying to find photos of the plants for the auctions that show VFTs. He either does not have mature plants himself or just has no photos of them. So he temporarily used the VFT photos. Which I don't think was a very good idea...

From my exchanges with him, I believe he is an honest hobby grower who is simply selling seed he acquired from someone in the UK which may or may not have been correctly ID'ed. I told him that Drosera ID was sometimes incorrect and that he really needed to get an expert opinion on the plants and not rely totally on a original ID.

Yes he mentioned you to me in the correspondance we've had. I do believe he's honest and has admitted not being able to germinate much of the seed he sells, although he is doing that now. If I'm reading these post right PAK, alot of the seed listed are either spat crosses or various forms/ssp. containing spat. I know you can identify plant well enough, but I'm not sure at what point these plants start exhibiting unique characteristics (I.E. flower/leaf differences). We'll see how this goes, and I'll definately report back to him.

Back