What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minor aphid infestation

When I was looking over the plants in my 20 gallon long terrarium yesterday, I found (to my absolute disgruntlement) what appeared to be many small, white aphids all over my D. adelae! They only seem to be on that particular plant, so I think it'll be very possible to nail this problem before it spreads.

What's the best solution to my aphid infestation? I've heard that submerging the entire plant in distilled water for several days does the trick.

Submerging does seem to work pretty well. Slowly fill a container so that the soil soaks up the water and doesn't float to the surface. Make sure the entire plant is covered with water, and give it about a week. I've done this once with my D. spatulata, with pretty good results.
Incidentally, if anyone more knowledgeable than I comes across this, what about drowning Pings? Can I get away with it? I have a little moranensis-ish hybrid with the beginnings of aphids and I can do insecticide but I'd rather not.
Best luck LG.
~Joe

I would not want to risk submerging an adelae. It needs to be under water for a couple of days to be effective and I am not sure a dew could handle that very well, the method is fine for vfts. I would use an insecticide, preferably a systemic soil drench, because sundews can suffer from leaf damage if you spray the plant directly with insecticide.

Thanks for such quick replies guys. I think I'm going to try submerging the plant first, and then if that doesn't work I'll try the systemic soil drench.

I believe this is only effective if your plant spieces can be found in a swampy/sometime-submerged area.
Pings should rot instantly, i suggest hand removal for the pings.
vft can be found in marshes around the carolinas so clearly it will work for them.

My D. adelae, a former Lowes rescue, developed an aphid infestation last year. All I did was submerger it for a few days and the aphids bit the dust. The plant itself looked like a drowned rat for awhile, but it came through just fine. It is now flowering.

what if your plant is planted in a classic terrarium, and you cant submerge it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It needs to be under water for a couple of days to be effective

24-48 hours usually does the trick for me. Just be sure to reaclimate the plant before putting it regular low humidity conditions.

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peanuts1gang @ Feb. 12 2006,1:50)]what if your plant is planted in a classic terrarium, and you cant submerge it?
Unless you want to uproot and repot the plant you will have to go for the systemic insecticide method. It is very effective and will give your plants some lasting protection, even if only for a month or so. You could try handpicking them off but it is unlikely that you would find very single aphid and they reproduce very quickly. Aphids are known to be pregnant with young even as they are born themselves and don't need a male aphid to multiply.

I have used Ortho Systemic Insect Killer on all my plants with noill effects (except to the aphids).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Feb. 12 2006,11:43)]I have used Ortho Systemic Insect Killer on all my plants with noill effects (except to the aphids).
^ That is the best method if you can get your hands on it. No I'll effects on any of my plants from it. Just the aphids
smile_l_32.gif

do i just spray that Ortho sytemic stuff on? dilluted or not?

Back