What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New plants from D. binata flower stalk

On 12/19/2005, I cut a D. binata (T-form) flower stalk into 1-inch segments, and floated those segments in distilled water.  I covered the container (one of those clear plastic cubes CPs come in at Lowe's), and placed it under bright fluorescent lights.

Here is one of the segments, as of 2/12/2006:

(For scale, bear in mind the stalk segment is 1" long.)

The segments have been placed in 1.5"x1.5" cells packed with peat, and will explode in new growth, if prior experience is an indicator.

Within another couple months, they will be ready to ship.

(I have also used this procedure with D. binata (multifida extrema)).

I plan to try in with non-binata-complex sundews, and see what success I get.

Good job! D. filiformis will do the same for ya.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Feb. 12 2006,3:01)]Good job! D. filiformis will do the same for ya.
Yes, but with D. filiformis, I use the leaf, not the flower stalk.  I haven't had D. filiformis in my collection long enough to see it flower.

I used a single 12" long leaf of D. filiformis ssp. tracyi, and very quickly found myself up to my eyeballs in new plants!

So it propagates also from flower stalk cuttings?

Strangely, despite resounding success propagating D. binata from flower stalk, I have had zero success propagating from leaf cuttings, which are supposed to be easy.

I'll have to try this with my D. aliciae and D. venusta; I have also had no success propagating from leaf with those, and I'd really like to propagate them (especially the D. venusta).

My bad. I didn't read your post carefully. I don't know about the actual flower stalk. Sure is worth a try, though.

In contrast, I have very good success with taking whole D. binata leaves and placing them in capped 50 ml tubes. I get like 15-20 new plants from one leaf. D. filiformis wasn't successful this way, but worked well by placing it on top of soil media. C.follicularis leaves work in a 50 ml tube as well. VFT leaves are supposed to work that way, but mine just fungused over.

That's some great info since I've read that most times the plant needs to be cross pollinated to get seed. This way the flower stalk itself will be good for propagating the plant instead of being cut off and thrown away.

Excellent! I will try it with some of my flower stalks from various Drosera species.

Brian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Brian_W @ Feb. 12 2006,4:26)]Excellent!  I will try it with some of my flower stalks from various Drosera species.

Brian
Please report back with success (and failure). I have a suspicion this will only work with flower stalks that are fairly "fat", like those of D. binata.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Feb. 12 2006,3:26)]VFT leaves are supposed to work that way, but mine just fungused over.
I don't do this, but maybe you could wash the leaves and tube in PhySan, before adding distilled water?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Feb. 12 2006,12:07)]Strangely, despite resounding success propagating D. binata from flower stalk, I have had zero success propagating from leaf cuttings, which are supposed to be easy.
I've found that some Superthrive makes a huge difference with D. binata leaf cuttings. I get roughly four times the buds with Superthrive than without. Somehow, though, I never get anything to strike from petiole cuttings. Never tried the flower stalk, but next time I see one I'll give it a shot.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Feb. 12 2006,5:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Feb. 12 2006,12:07)]Strangely, despite resounding success propagating D. binata from flower stalk, I have had zero success propagating from leaf cuttings, which are supposed to be easy.
I've found that some Superthrive makes a huge difference with D. binata leaf cuttings. I get roughly four times the buds with Superthrive than without. Somehow, though, I never get anything to strike from petiole cuttings. Never tried the flower stalk, but next time I see one I'll give it a shot.
~Joe
I'll try the superthrive next time; I've got a D. binata (multifida extrema) flower stalk about ready to harvest.

I thought about trying that idea last summer with D. 'Marston Dragon' flower stalks. The plant kept sending them up one after another all summer long. What a waste! I should have. I will this summer for sure! It's really great what you can discover by simple experimentation like that. Way to go SarraceniaScott!

Back