What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capillaris Seeds

Do Drosera capillaris need to be stratified? Do they have a dormant period?

Drosera capillaris is the first cp I tried growing a few years back when I first became enamored with cp's. I grow a larger variety from east central Florida. It is probably also the only species I have not killed yet. It seems to be one of the easiest sundews to grow at least for me.

I have never stratified seed when starting new pots of it. I probably would have had I not been so ignorant about such things. But it does quite well without stratification. In fact it is a more prolific weed in my collection than D. capensis is. I do not think a have a single pot that does not have at least a few. I don't even cover the pots I start with plastic bags.

As far as dormancy mine slow down in the winter but still grow. They grow more quickly in spring and fall. They seem to spend more of their energy on flowering and setting seed in the summer.

I was just wondering because my other drosera seeds have been in stratification since the middle of December and I think it would be too late to start them now with the whole stratification process. I'm actually not sure they need to be strafied before they will grow. I'll just sow them when I get them and see what happens. Do they have the same temperature dorment requirement as VFT's? If they don't what temperature should I try to keep them for the winter months?

D. capillaris are a subtropical species. Same category as D. capensis and D. spatulata. They don't need stratification. As with most subtropical species they require temps as near to 80F as you can get it to germinate.

The best way I can describe it is:

I had been dumping D. spatulata and D. capensis seed into the same planter, for months, with no germination, finally I started getting a few here or there. I was starting to think that everyone here was crazy, I didn't see either species being weedy at all. But once my house heat went on the fritz, and thaught I didn't want temps lower then the mid 80's the planter exploded with seedlings. I now have hundreds of both.

Back