What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seed catcher?

well a ome of you know, my spatulatas are flowering. i was wondering how could you put something to catch the falling seeds in a classic terrarium? because i am going to be gone for 4 days, and dont want all the seeds to drop in that time. i have 13 flowers shooting up as well.

try making a little paper funnel that all the flower stalks go through. just an idea
biggrin.gif

Or stage a plastic cup beneath the flower stalks.

mesh net!

Just put a plastic bag over each scape and tie it with wire/ string around the middle of the scape. If possible, you can even bend it over a bit. Or better yet, CUT IT OFF!!
smile.gif
:) You'll be throwing away seeds soon anyways! ;)

Good luck,
Fernando Rivadavia

Cut it off and place it in a glass of water with the flower pods hanging over the edge of the glass..  Then put the glass onto a big dinner plate so that the seeds can fall onto that. You may lose a few of the least developed pods that way, but as mentioned, you will soon be so swamped with seeds that it wont matter. You may even end up with plantlets forming on the submerged parts of the stalk. Its worth a try no matter what.

Steve

I've done that with D. intermedia... worked just fine
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fernando Rivadavia @ Feb. 14 2006,5:54)]Just put a plastic bag over each scape and tie it with wire/ string around the middle of the scape.
That sounds like a good idea to me. After all of the pods are developed inside the baggie, you could just cut off the scape, and keep all the seeds in the bag.

I'd be concerned about humidity inside the bag though. Maybe put a few airholes in it.

Back