What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata "extrema" X D.binata "giant"

Cindy

Staff member
Is it worth my while to cross pollinate these two plants?
smile.gif
And get seeds?

Or will I get seeds at all?
smile_l_32.gif
My concern is that they might flower themselves to death.

Don't know if it helps or not, but I was given seeds of D. Multifida Extrema x Marston Dragon and they germinated for me last year. They just woke a few weeks ago, so it remains to be seen as to whether they will flower.

Yes, you can get seeds as long as you cross D. binata varieties, although I am not sure if the hybrid will be fertile.
smile.gif

Do I have to stratify the seeds?
confused.gif

No, they are sub-tropical plants.

I hear all the time that D. binata is not self fertile... My "multifida extrema" flowered and produced viable seed last season without the help of any other plants that I am aware of. The seeds did not look like the typical hard black specks, they looked sorta wimpy and feathery, but I got new babies from them.

Is D. binata self-fertile?

Is D. binata hybrid self-fertile?

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

D. binata is self-fertile, and as I have said, it is not always the case that the hybrids between D. binata varieties are self-fertile.

Back