What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.capensis albino problems

I have been haing some minor problems with my D.capensis albino. The tentacles produce tons of dew until the last half - inch, where the tentacles don't produce any dew at all. After a few days, the part of the leaf that didn't produce dew turns black, while the part of the leaf with the tentacles that produce dew stays green. The humidity is 60% during the day and 70% at night. The temps are around 81F during the day and 73F at night. They are on a 16 hour photoperiod, and get plenty of light. These plants have been doing this odd phenomenon for about 5 months.
dewy

odd...my mystery form(still a seedling) doesnt do that and my conditions are almost the exact same. what is your soil?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Feb. 22 2006,5:29)]odd...my mystery form(still a seedling) doesnt do that and my conditions are almost the exact same. what is your soil?
Pure peat moss. I have another D.capensis albino in the same conditions and soil, and it doesn't do this.

Mine do this when they are flowering, usually after they are a few flower stalks into the cycle. It seems that they put all their energy into producing flowers and seed. Once the flowering cycle stops or I stop it by clipping flower stalks they get back to normal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gawd_oOo @ Feb. 22 2006,9:08)]Mine do this when they are flowering, usually after they are a few flower stalks into the cycle. It seems that they put all their energy into producing flowers and seed. Once the flowering cycle stops or I stop it by clipping flower stalks they get back to normal.
Could it also be that they are pot bound? I have two adult D.capensis albino's per 4 inch pot, and they have lots of roots coming out of the bottom of the pot. I had one in a 3 inch pot that was growing normal until its roots came out of the bottom of the pot, and it then started growing like the other D.capensis albino.
dewy

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gawd_oOo @ Feb. 22 2006,6:08)]Mine do this when they are flowering, usually after they are a few flower stalks into the cycle. It seems that they put all their energy into producing flowers and seed. Once the flowering cycle stops or I stop it by clipping flower stalks they get back to normal.
Same here. My big D. capensis albino is in the midst of flowering right now, putting up three huge stalks, and the leaves just aren't dewy at the ends.

Don't see any bugs (not a prey) around its roots?
That's was why my capensis got sick...
Or maybe drainage is the problem, too dense soil...
Hope this helped
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (little Nices @ Mar. 06 2006,5:13)]Don't see any bugs (not a prey) around its roots?
That's was why my capensis got sick...
Or maybe drainage is the problem, too dense soil...
Hope this helped
smile.gif
I repotted it yesterday into 3:1 peat to perlite as the peat moss seemed to be compacted really hard. It already looks happier.
smile.gif

Back