What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian and winter growing drosera in bog

Hi,

I just finished my bog (a bit under 2 square meters and about 50cm deep), 1:1 peat and sand.

Right now I have it with sarracenias and dionaeas. I'm adding some pygmies and a d. regia (does very well outdoors here)

My climate is mediterranean, virtualy frost free (light frost once every few years), humid winters, specially fall and spring, and dry summers.

This is fairly close (I'm closer to the sea, so minimums are 1 or 2ºC higher):

http://www.globalbioclimatics.org/station/es-cast2.htm

To me looks fairly close to:

http://www.globalbioclimatics.org/station/au-perth.htm

(theirs has more humid winters and milder winters but they are fairly close, look at the water deficit column)

I'm thinking it would be easier if I target winter growing species (tuberous drosera, S. African winter growing...) as I wouldn't need to water as much.

As I also have sarracenias, I'll need to keep it humid.

Any comments about appropiate sumer water table depth?

Would some "more tolerant" tuberous droseras do well? (I'm thinking about things like d. gigantea.

Any proposals of what I could plant?

I'd be more inclined to try D. peltata forms and maybe D. whittikari since they can both take real wet conditions. D. gigantea may work but some clones can be touchy about how wet they are and there is not real telling until you get it wet and it either rots or comes back...

D. whittikari ??

is the speling right? I can't find it anywhere.

Right spelling is Drosera whittakeri. I would try D. peltata first, it is much more tolerant. Don't kill too many rare species for experiments!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JanW @ Feb. 26 2006,9:08)]Right spelling is Drosera whittakeri. I would try D. peltata first, it is much more tolerant. Don't kill too many rare species for experiments!!!
thanks

Sorry my bad on that spelling

Hi,

I don't think, you can grow tuberous Drosera successfull for a longer time in your bog. I can only imagine, that this might work with Drosera auriculata/peltata, if at all. In my opinion, even Drosera auriculata/peltata do better if they have a dry summer (what your Sarracenia will not like). I also don't think, that the winter growing south-african Drosera will survive such conditions.

Christian

Wish I had built 2 bogs instead of one, climate is just about perfect for winter growing drosera.

Make a minibog in a washbasin or large planter box. I did that for a while (for NA Drosera, VFTs and Sarrs) and it worked just fine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Feb. 28 2006,9:58)]Make a minibog in a washbasin or large planter box. I did that for a while (for NA Drosera, VFTs and Sarrs) and it worked just fine.
I finnished my "bog space", it's too late to add another one. I don't have a garden, just a terrace with my bog, tomatoes, 200 oak seedlings over 100 agaves, 300 cactae seedlings, a tray with sphagnum and a couple carnivorous plants that either I give away or go to the bog.

If I try to use more terrace space, I'll be single again very soon.

Back