What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous Drosera

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Two cases to prove that these plants are just nuts overall.

1) Three years ago I sowed out seed for D. ramellosa. Nothing happened, nothing happend, nothing happened. This morning I was going to throw out the pot and move something new into it and what do I find?? 8 sprouts!!. This pot has been in a bag so nothing else could have accidentally gotten into it. 3 YEARS to get germination!!

2) Last year I potted up a single D. platypoda tuber. I planted it smack dab in the center of the pot (so I'd know where to look for growth.) It grew but was very tiny, 0.5cm across at most. It went dormant as it should and I dried the pot with all the others and set it aside. This winter it was a little slow to start and I thought I had lost it but finally life emerged from the center of the pot again. And also from opposite corners of the pot! Now I know that tuberous Drosera are sometimes known to branch off spare tubers but how/why can/would a plant that was no more tha 0.5cm get enough extra material to form 2 new tuber plus whatever runners sent them to opposite sides of the pot? And if it had all that extra energy then why is it that the "parent" is still tiny while the new progeny are growing like weeds?!

Freaks I tell you.

FREAKS!!

I hope my round-leaf sundew don't take 3 years to germinate.

Pyro, they may be mutants, I suggest that you rid yourself of them immediatly. I'll send you my address.
smile_n_32.gif

Haha, well, at least they're growing! Still, very interesting indeed.

wow 3 years!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

That's really funny. Wow. Keep it up!

Peter

You hear occasional stories like that-well done, Pyro to presevere!
Maybe they needed solid dry season/wet season cylces to germinate. Doesn't D. erythrorhiza seed take that long to germinate, supposedly?

Cheers,

Joe

Pyro, Joe, and all the rest!!! I did the wet/dry cycle with d. platypoda, d. ramellosa, d. macranthra, and one other that never sprouted. They took 4 years of the cycle to decide to grow. I was NOT going to throw them out or repot. I was curious. Was there ANY life in these seeds? My shock 4 years later was a great feeling to see these babies. Platypoda died, macranthra was stolen, and ramellosa met a tragic mishap with fungicide, applied by my son, who knows NOTHING about CP. Still, I had the ramellosa for 16 years before it was destroyed, like my heliamphora, by my well meaning, BONE headed son.

ouch bugweed

Good story, Pyro! ;)

Better use smoke discs next time...

... and I thought I was patient when I waited over 6 months for some seed to germinate.

I don't think there's anything in my house that could go over a year sitting in a bag and not be covered by mold
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Ron, The wet/dry conditions were very important to observe. I was willing to wait them out for another 5 years. Glad they sprouted at all!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JanW @ Feb. 25 2006,4:34)]Good story, Pyro! ;)

Better use smoke discs next time...
Jan,
I have some of those, but I forget how to use them-do you put them in a petri dish with a shallow layer or water, or what?

Cheers,

Joe

Simply use the smoke discs with water to get smoke water. Then you put the seeds in that for some days and sow them. Use the smoke water to wet the soil and wait for germination.

Bug,

I wet/dry cycled the pot all 3 years. When I dried my actual growing tuberous pots I would pop open the bag and let it dry then re-zip it.

Back