What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats Wrong?

For the longest time my D. Capensis was growing very rapidly and looking great. Now suddently the tims of the leaves shrivel up before the the leaf is fully grown. I don't know whats wrong the humidity is where it was when it was growing rapidly.

I noticed this same problem. Mine was growing fine in a terrarium. I decided to move it outside in November to make room for some other plants. Immediately it went into a kind of dormancy. The leaves were very tiny and then eventually the tips were just turning brown and dying. Slowly it has started coming back with full, beautiful leaves. My best guess is that it wasn't receiving enough light to produce good leaves. Now that the photoperiod is increasing, the growth of the plant is increasing. I would also check for any insects or possible fungus. Hope this helps.

Chris

You didn't state your growing conditions so it's hard to say, but here are a few common causes of what you described:

1. Too little light
2. Too much heat or sudden exposure to cold/drafts
3. Too dry soil or, if the soil is dense and poor quality, too wet soil (root rot)
4. Pests (usually spider mite or mealy bugs)
5. Plant just finished flowering

*Humidity usually isn't a big problem with D.capensis unless the plant was "babied" in a warm, humid nursery and suddenly exposed to apartment-like conditions. My D.capensis (and other dews) are producing lots of dew with 50-60% humidity, and would probably do so if the humidity dipped to 40-50%.

Hope it gets better.

Okay then it probably went into some kind of dormancy because i havent changed a thing from when it was growing like mad. So ill keep an eye on it and hope it gets better! THX Much!!!

D. capensis doesn't go into dormancy, but it can look a little haggard after flowering, as Chloroplast indicates. And I can also vouch for major environment chnages - like fro 70->15->70 again withing 15 minutes. I've also had the plant become infested with aphids, looking rather gnarled.

Back