What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Capensis: 15 days later

I just decided to post this because I always enjoy looking at how other people's plants are progressing. Hopefully others do too!

My Cape Sundews went through a lot the past few months. When I moved in November, I had them away from my window on a tall armoire. I was busy with the new house & classes, and being in such a high place, they weren't visible. I ended up forgetting they were in my room, and they received no water.

About 3 weeks later, I finally noticed them up there. They looked terrible, so I put them outside in the rain. They didn't really grow and went into a dormancy, which they do not need.

On February 10, I replanted them into five 4" pots and put them on my bedroom window.

They looked really pitiful, here is a picture taken February 10, 2006:
before.jpg

D. Capensis grows sooo fast!
These are the same pots just 15 days later on February 25, 2006:
after1.jpg
after2.jpg

I will continue to update as they grow and flower later on this year.

my capensis went from a this to this since christmas
before

after

and my adaele since christmas
before(top left)

after(its been totally transformed for some reason?!?!) and its in a 3in pot

thanks for sharing
alex

Update...

3/24/06 - Two weeks ago, still indoors:
DEW1.jpg

3-4.jpg

TODAY
4/7/06 - I moved them outside a few days ago, allowing them to catch hundreds of tiny insects.
I counted 24 flower stems emerging:
3-1.jpg

Here's a close-up shot of a leaf since it's hard to see the insects from the picture above.
3-3.jpg

They made a lot of progress in less than 2 months.

I prefer the way it looked indoors, when the leaves were clean and insect free. Now the leaves are covered with bugs...

WOW,nice plants Statik2426! What soil mix do you have yours in? Is it pure peat moss?
dewy

Dang !!! I can't wait for nice weather here. My dews are waiting ever so patiently in a 55 F basement under lights. By this fall I doubt if they will fit back in the same place.

For these, I used about 50/50 peat and sand. The surface looks like pure peat in the pictures because I put a layer of pure peat on top. I don't like having to look at sand/perlite/bark on any of my plants, so I always cover it up with peat or LF Sphagnum.

Random Note:
I used Scott's brand peat for these sundews. I have seem many negative posts about this brand since my return to these forums, and I have to agree with them. I used this brand for years for peat and perlite without any problems... but it seems the quality of thier products has decreased since then. Disguisting algae growth quickly grew on the surface of the soil. Scott's Peat is expensive anyway, you get such a tiny bag for $5. At my local Yard Bird's, I can get a 2.2cu ft bag for Sunshine brand peat for just $7, and the bag is MANY times larger than Scott's.

The perlite I bought was also terrible. The bag had many foreign brown material, lots of grey perlite rocks which were not fully expanded, and the inside of the bag was moist. I used this perlite for my gardenia instead.

Wow! Great looking Cape Sundews! I love how you have them all in one big water dish. I think it makes for a wonderful, dewy effect
smile.gif

Drosera capensis will always be one of my favorite CPs because it grows so fast. It also isn't too shabby looking either
smile_m_32.gif

DO NOT PROPOGATE THESE!! they are trying to take over the earth and your are helping them! dont do it!

smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Back