What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. brevifolia vs D. capillaris

D. brevifolia

D. capillaris

Both specimens growing in my outdoor bog, rescued from Covington, LA.

Cool, so they grow well outdoor year round here? Guess whats on my shopping list now for my outdoor bog? ;)

That brevifolia looks like burmanii with lots more tentacles. I wonder if the outer tentacles move like burmanii?

No they don't. D. brevifolia is only about 3/4's of an inch big, mostly 1/2 inches. I have a dwarf capillaris from Autauga County, Alabama, given to me by Barry Rice, that closely resemble a brevifolia, and only 3/8's to 1/2 inch in diameter. Only way to tell them from d. brevifolia is the glandular hairs on the d. brevifolia flower stem. Capillaris does not have the glandular hairs.

I would say...D. capillaris would win. They both have large lamina and can land heavy punches, but the length of the petioles of D.capillaris will allow it ot box better from the outside.

smile_n_32.gif

Back