What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis" special wide leaves"

It's grown from seeds two years ago from a friend,who?you must know indeed !

I will be angry if you only see without nice comments
smile_h_32.gif

It's a joke
smile_m_32.gif

rex

That's a pretty neat plant. Isn't that D. capensis 'Baines Kloof' or something? I know adnedarn has some.

-Ben

Wow. First time seeing this type of Capensis. Thanks for sharing
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Mar. 11 2006,7:52)]That's a pretty neat plant. Isn't that D. capensis 'Baines Kloof' or something? I know adnedarn has some.

-Ben
Naw, my plants don't have overly wide leaves... Those look pretty neat though!

Uhhhh, you guys did click on the thumb nail pics to see the larger pics didn't you??

yes, what are you trying to say?

Just thought that the D. capensis "bobz" might have been overlooked in the excitement of seeing such an unusual plant.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Isn't that D. capensis 'Baines Kloof' or something?
Actually it is a plant from a bunch of volunteer typical D. capensis that came up in the University greenhouse that I saved because of the unusually wide leaves. It is unlikely to be a hybrid with other Drosera since the only other Drosera we had at the time were binata, spatulata, and a bunch of pygmy. It is probably just a chance expression of the genetic diversity seen in seed-produced plants.

Rex, it is nice to see that growing under very different conditions than mine, the seedlings retained the wide leaf form of the parent.
D_capensisWide1955.JPG

D_capensisWide1962.JPG

Do all of your seedlings have the the same look? My root cuttings (clones) and seedlings look similar.

Last summer, the earliest flowers in the parent spike were about 1.75 inches in diameter, but so far I have not compared flower size in the offspring. This summer for sure.

That has quite the different look. I keep looking at the pic, and saying, "If I didn't know that was a capensis(because you said it was), I would think it was something different."
I really think it's cool looking!

Cheers,

Joe

I have capensis seedlings popping up all the time around here and some of them look kind of like that. I'll have to wait till they get bigger but they appear to have wider leaves than the normal capensis plant. Hmmmm

Back