What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. sessilifolia - Is it a age thing?

Cindy

Staff member
Or fungus? Or excess heat?  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

First it was like this.
sessilifoliafloweringrs.jpg

Then it became like this.
sess080306rs.jpg

Do you see this in your plants too?

Btw, ignore the unnatural blue hue in the first pic.
smile_m_32.gif

Cindy, is that a flower stalk emerging from the second pic? Is it possible that this species is somewhat an annual, behaving similarly to a D. burmannii. Mine recently died as well, not from the same causes.  
smile_h_32.gif

My first plant died after flowering. It was the only D. sessilifolia I had but fortunately, the seeds are viable and I got this now.
laugh.gif

sessnatural.jpg

Anyway, I was just wondering about the redness at the petioles because almost all the plants in other pots turn red as well! But the plants are back to green again these couple of days.

I find the same thing happens to my plants. The plant seems to flower and then die, then lots of volunteer seedlings appear all over the place.

I'm not sure how many die in my pot, I never notice.
Mine is crammed full like your pot.

I never grew this drosera but I think age is the problem. You know, many rosetted droseras are annual
smile.gif
Just make sure that you collect the seeds
smile.gif

It was noted on a previous topic (a few years back) that the rosettes of D. sessilifolia often turn reddish in the centre when they flower. Haven't ever noticed it on any of my plants but mine seem to be grown in much more light than those in the images, particularly the first couple.

maby they are wearing themselves out due to flowering....

Hmmmm....

Looks to me like this could be D.burmanni & not D.sessilifolia...

Take Care,
Fernando Rivadavia

that would explain it, it looks exactly like what happened to my D.burmanii (and likely everyone else's too) after it flowered...

Possible??

What are the differences between D. burmanii and D. sessilifolia?

i think D.burmanii has that realy quick tenatcle movement. before this i have only heard of D. sessifolia once so i dont know much about it.

Fernando, I am not doubting you but I never had D. burmannii seeds germinate for me. Not from any of my sources.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

guqin, D. burmannii has longer petioles than D. sessilifolia.

Wow, D.burmannii has never germinated for you?? Do all your sources microwave their seeds??
smile.gif
:) I remember having quite the opposite problem with this species, seeds kept germinating anywhere and everywhere! Try a few more sources, many people have this in cultivation, it shouldn't be hard to find. As for the ID of your plants, apparently a few people are trading around seeds of D.burmannii labelled as D.sessilifolia...
smile_h_32.gif
:(

Good luck, Fernando Rivadavia

It is definately a D.burmannii.
dewy

dewy, how do you tell? Seriously, I am going to have hundreds, perhaps thousands of seeds soon and I need to confirm the identity of this fellow...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I have both and it looks more like D. Sessilifolia to me but i'm not an expert.

Hi
Im a little confused with id too
this is what i grew from seeds supplied by a german grower marked as sessifolia chapada brazil
DSCF3852.jpg

this one of our local aussie burmannii
DSCF3854.jpg

they look way different to me  - but could these two both be burmannii?

Please confirm sessifolia id if possible
supprisingly these are both grown under same lights .

regards Belinda

Back