What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick germinating question

I was reading the b. inflioria quick germination post that Pinguicula man has posted on top of the topics page here, and I was curious as to whether or nor that same method would speed the germination of Drosera Capensis seeds?

I have already sowed the seeds that I rceived from Little Nices about a week ago. I just opened the seed pod, and let the seeds fall, a few in each pot. I then covered them with just enough dried Sphag. moss so that I know that they would remain in constant moisture outside, and have regularly watered since. I'm crossing my fingers that the way I sowed these seeds will sprout me some beautiful Capensis and rotundifolia sundews. If I am correct in the way that I planted these seeds, about how long should it take them to sprout? And, if not, what should I do differently the next go round at sowing Drosera seeds?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!

~~Corey
smilie4.gif

I wouldnt worry. Fresh D. capensis seed should germinate within 7-15 days. In less than a year you will have enough seed to start your own "Free D. capensis seed for SASE" topic in the trade forum.

Cheers
Steve

I would worry about having covered them. Covering the seed is something I've always avoided, they are so tiny and may need good light in order to germinate.

They really are itty-bitty seeds.... I was shocked when I saw how small they were... I actually went and put on a dust mask to keep from blowing them off of my work table... lol. I will seperate that small layer of peat off the top of a few of the pots to see if I can get better results.... I was just worried about them not getting enough moisture to properly germinate.... I should have figured that the peat would hold enough moisture beyond the evaporation point to be able to properly germinate....

Thanks!!~~ Corey

From my experience, Temperatures above 80F really help them germinate faster.

Well I suppose it's a good thing I'm in sunny south Florida!!! lol.

Back